Cultivating interest with Debian users for Salix

Other talk about Salix
ChuangTzu
Donor

Cultivating interest with Debian users for Salix

Post by ChuangTzu »

As some of you might remember I am also active on the Debian forum, funny how well Slackware knowledge transfers over....Anyway, there is a thread over there regarding how an "Upgrade to Stretch (current version) killed systemd" and I may have nudged the thread a bit towards Salix/Slackware and the benefits thereof. ;)

This led to a request to start a new thread post/sticky on their forum showing the benefits of Salix/Slackware and how it would benefit those running Debian Wheezy (pre systemd) which is EOL soon.

Anything you would like for me to include in that new thread will be much appreciated. Hey Didier feel free to include some Slint benefits,Dimitris, Slackel can be included as well. :)

Ref: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 3a0da4d866
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Cultivating interest with Debian users for Salix

Post by ChuangTzu »

first rough draft is up....
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134342

let me know if you guys would like anything else added. ;)
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

I am guessing that most people in Crapbuntu forums wouldn't even know or care about systemd. At least in Debian forums some people are aware of systemd and they dislike it.
I've read the threads you linked (and a few older ones). It is amazing how many people admit they don't like systemd but are still stuck with Debian. It is also funny when they find silly arguments to justify their decision, like "productivity > politics" - as if systemd has anything to do with "productivity", or people hate systemd for "political" reasons. Granted, Redhat is politics (not to mention their strong bounds with Micro$oft), and the person showing off as systemd's "main" developer is just a haughty clown (that moron even goes to BSD conferences to "promote" his crapware by interrupting speakers with silly "objections").
Still, people don't run away of systemd plague because of this. The reason is much simpler: and init system must be an init system. It has to do one thing, and has to do it well. Systemd is not an init system; it doesn't do one thing, and whatever it does, it doesn't do it well either. An obvious abuse of the *nix philosophy. Therefore, any distro relying on systemd is permanently out of question. It's that simple. End of story. Who cares about Redhat or systemd developers' personality. I don't really like Torvalds' personality either, but that didn't move me away of GNU/Linux.

Now, good luck explaining that to Debian forums... Although I admire your patience to still being active there, trying to move people away from the systemd-plague, I don't have that patience myself and, most importantly, I have zero tolerance to the occasional systemd-lovers who are unavoidable there.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

sometimes patience, usually a good laugh as well. :mrgreen:

I think there is alot more interest over there then some may think, many of them as you noticed are "afraid" to leave Debian because its all they've known. Reminds me of the Apple "walled garden", even ubuntu tried to emulate that with their system, i've seen similar with people only using RedHat etc...
Last edited by ChuangTzu on 19. Aug 2017, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

ChuangTzu wrote:many of them as you noticed are "afraid" to leave Debian because its all they've known
Indeed. That's why you try to explain that is not going to be a dive to uncharted waters, really. Maybe you should emphasize more things they are familiar with? Such as the fact slapt-get is very similar to what they already know, so "don't be afraid guys, Salix won't bite you". Also emphasize the convenience of Salix tools, such as the multimedia codecs installer (you already mentioned that there, if I recall correctly), or the persistent usb installation. I would also add Slackel, for people used to Debian "testing" releases, or people who just want a rolling distro, emphasizing the fact Slackel is actually very stable.

That, and a lot of patience, may move some people away from Debian, which is seriously systemd-infected now. Once upon a time, it used to be a distro with personality. Now it's just another "systemd OS", dragged behind redHat's chariot. For most people out there it's just a Poobuntu variant - which is ironic, since Poobuntu was initially a poor Debian copy for newbies.

I will follow your threads there, but I doubt I would have the patience to be active. I left Debian behind a few years ago, as I left systemd-lovers. And I never regret it.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

just added Slackel on there. ;)
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Some Debian users are learning how to build packages via slapt-src and SLKBUILD. :P

Good responses coming in from their forum, we should see some new users over here. ;)
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

I'm not no Linux expert, and I find it pretty easy to use. :P So you can tell them my 2 cents. ;)