Impressions after full transition from 14.2 to 15.0

Other talk about Salix
Papasot
Donor

Impressions after full transition from 14.2 to 15.0

Post by Papasot »

So, I finished installing 15.0 in all the computers I use myself, or maintain for others. It took me less than I thought it would, because Salix 15.0 installation was quick and flawless in just all the PCs/laptops. Literally zero issues. Performance-wise it's more or less the same as 14.2. At least my benchmarks based on multi-threaded numerical calculations show statistically insignificant difference compared to the results I got with 14.2 - which is what I would expect anyway. It is just a tiny bit slower starting Xfce; on older (but still decent) computers I can clearly see PulseAudio plugin delaying to appear. Ah that PulseAudio thing... at some point I will have to bite the bullet and see how I can get rid of it in favor of Pipeware or just plain old-good ALSA. Some of the software I install from the repos pull Pipeware anyway, so it shouldn't be that hard.
As for the elogind thing, which I am strongly against, I realize there is nothing gapan can realistically do about it once PV hardcoded it to basically everything. So I had to either accept this or leave any Slackware-based distro (and many others). I like Salix plus I know my way around it, so I opted to just accept, very reluctantly, the fact elogind is here now. I don't want to think what the next step PV will take is, but if he goes as far as adopting systemd altogether then the only option for me would be to sadly wave goodbye. We'll see how it goes. Enough "complains", now back to some more remarks.

In general, transition from 14.2 to 15.0 was as smooth as it gets. Default software in "full" is very close to what I wanted it to be. I barely needed to remove anything, and added a lot more from the repos - and I understand very well why they aren't installed by default. I also put my main PC on "heavy duty", with compiling and testing heavy libraries, and even some "heavy" (for my gear) games. Again, Salix did its job just as I expected, within the limits of my hardware (which is nothing to write home about, including my "flagship PC"). It even performed decently with the default Xfce environment on an old laptop with only 1Gb of RAM - but in that case I opted for Openbox since every byte of RAM counts.

Now, some further fine tuning was needed, just because I want as less services as possible to start at boot. For example, part of the software I need to be there is Audacity, Rosegarden, and LMMS. All of them pull PostgreSQL - which would be fine, except PostreSQL is then started by default every time the computer boots. I didn't even need to check because I boot at runlevel 3 and it clearly tells me PostgreSQL is started (it also asks me to take further action as root, to initialize the PostgreSQL database). I will never need that database directly and even the music software I mentioned doesn't need it except in special cases, so I see no reason for PostgreSQL being there active all the time. I easily got rid of the PostgreSQL service starting at boot using servicesetup (or gtkservicesetup). Similar action had to be taken to stop the bluetooth service on a PC that doesn't even have bluetooth, the cups service on a laptop that most probably will never need to connect to a printer, and so on. Minor things, but fine tuning always helps to get the most of my hardware.

All in all, I am quite happy with the result and, again, may thanks to gapan, the core team, and the people who helped.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Impressions after full transition from 14.2 to 15.0

Post by djemos »

Nice report Papasot in details.
Just of curiosity.
When i had installed salix-xfce 64-15.0 in vmware to make the salixlive xfce isos i also read gapan details in wiki about "How to upgrade Salix 14.2 to 15.0" even i did a new installation. Just to know.
There says "Fix some missing symlinks. On 64 bit systems run:"

ln -sf /lib64/libssl.so.1.1 /lib64/libssl.so.1
ln -sf /lib64/libcrypto.so.1.1 /lib64/libcrypto.so.1
ln -sf /usr/lib64/libldap-2.4.so.2.11.7 /usr/lib64/libldap-2.4.so.2
ln -sf /usr/lib64/liblber-2.4.so.2.11.7 /usr/lib64/liblber-2.4.so.2

there is only /lib64/libssl.so.1.1 not the link /lib64/libssl.so.1
and only /lib64/libcrypto.so.1.1 not the link /lib64/libcrypto.so.1

Are these links needed?
Same in 32 bit salix installation.
but there is /usr/lib64/libssl.so -> libssl.so.1.1
and /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so -> libcrypto.so.1.1
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

Hello Papasot,
which partitioning did you choose?

i try to do
/boot (boot flag)
/
/home
but it fails, and I had to do
/ (boot flag)
/home.
(it's on qemu because for now I'm learning salix64 15.0, i want consolekit back :lol: )
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

djemos wrote: 15. Sep 2022, 15:38 there is only /lib64/libssl.so.1.1 not the link /lib64/libssl.so.1
and only /lib64/libcrypto.so.1.1 not the link /lib64/libcrypto.so.1
Are these links needed?
Same in 32 bit salix installation.
I can't talk about the other two you mentioned, but for libssl and libcrypto I happen to know. Strictly speaking, no, the links are not needed. However both libssl and libcrypto caused a lot of problems - not to Salix 15.0 exactly, but to external software installed on it. And it's not a problem happening just on Slackware as well. Many distributions had the same problem. It was one of the few issues I had during the transition but I didn't mentioned it earlier because it has nothing to do with the distribution.This is obviously just "library hell", common with external applications that use dynamic linking.

There are still applications that actually expect libssl-1.0.0 and libcrypto-1.0.0, which is what 14.2 had. They won't run without those on your system. Now we have libssl-1.1 and libcrypto-1.1, both provided by the package openssl-solibs-1.1.1q instead of the old openssl-solibs1.0.2h. Some external applications that won't run anymore may run if you have the links, probably because it just says "libssl.so.1" and they look for it if libssl.1.0.0 is not found. Others aren't compatible with the new versions of libssl and libcrypto and won't run even with the links present. For those, the only solution I could think of is to download the old version of openssl-solibs, extract the txz file, put the old versions of the libraries in a directory and run the offending applications with a simple script that modifies LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where I saved the old versions of those two libraries. I had to do the same on Slackel as well. This is why at least the previous version of the distribution must still be available.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

@SalixManiac
What i use and always is working is:
for 32 bit iso:
/ (root partition)
can make also a /home partition which i never do)
a swap partition

for 64 bit iso:
an EFI fat32 300MB partition, signed esp,boot (If there is no other OS installed already. If there is then an EFI will exists. and it will be used)
a / root partition
a /home partition (i never make it)
This is only if grub boot loader is used. it is good also to make a fat32 33 MB partition signed bios_grub (good to boot 32 bit in 64 bit machines) It is not harm. And do this bios,grub partition there is also another boot option appeared in bios boot menu, salix (scandisk) in mycase, except the other two options UEFI USB and hdd USB :-)
a swap partition
SalixManiac

Post by SalixManiac »

thank you I think like many salix/slackware stable users I lost the habit of installing a system and I have memories that mix with other distributions.
Colin Chapman “light is right” those last words "the middle pedal is for cowards"