configuring starters and RMB menu

Other talk about Salix
jpg153
Donor

configuring starters and RMB menu

Post by jpg153 »

Hi all,

I finally made it to 15.0, but crashed my old 14.x system on that way. So I made a fresh install from a USB-stick.
I am not overly happy with the look&feel of XFCE on the new WM ... although I am not geeky.
What I miss most is the functionality of the starters - I had a starter for i.e. terminal and a second for starting a terminal as root user.
I did that quite some time ago but cannot remember how I did and as my old system is gone, no chance to look it up there.

Same applies to the RMB menu, which was quite handy to open geany directly from the file to edit and again once as user and one time as root. I could as well add a "open terminal from here" with root user rights. I have not yet seen the place where I could set this up in the new environment.

I appreciate any hint or advice on how to do or where to look it up.

thanks in advance.
Regards Gruß
jpg
ibka

Re: configuring starters and RMB menu

Post by ibka »

Hi
If i understand you right about RMB i think its this you are looking for https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/custom-actions

Regarding the starters do you mean on the desktop? In that case just right click on the desktop and create a new Launcher for start as root use the command "gnsu xfce4-terminal"

And here is documentation for XFCE https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/start
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

If I understand well, what you want is to autostart an application when XFCE starts (in the same way TWM starts xterm automatically, for example). If that's the case, there are several ways to do it, but the "easiest" graphical way is go to Settings -> Session and Startup -> Application Autostart, then click on "Add". In the "Add application" window that appears, enter a proper name and description (it doesn't really matter, it's just for you to remember what this autostart does); what is essential is the "Command" entry where you type what application you want to start. For example, if you type "xfce4-terminal", and click on "Ok" XFCE's default terminal will autostart each time XFCE starts.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
jpg153
Donor

Post by jpg153 »

Thanks!

Well, I was more after what "ibka" pointed to!
Autostart is a different story, but I might remember for other issues which might come.

I will try to recreate my RMB menu and the starters with the XFCE documentation.
If I don't survive :? I will let you know :lol:

Thanks again!
Regards Gruß
jpg