Slackware 15

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
Papasot
Donor

Re: Slackware 15

Post by Papasot » 17. Feb 2021, 16:19

According to Slackware-Current changelogs, Current can be considered 15.0 "alpha 1" since February 15, 2021. They also say that they wait for a new release of Firefox compatible with the latest Rust compiler, plus "a few more scheduled upgrades". So I guess 15.0 may not be as far as a few months more, but we will see.

My complaint about 15.0 is the introduction of elogind, a crappy login daemon extracted from systemd as a standalone package. Well, at least it's not systemd - otherwise I would already be migrating to another distribution or FreeBSD. They wanted to do so in order to have Gnome and KDE, the two desktop environments dependent to systemd. I couldn't care less about those resource devours, but it seems they want them. The part I don't like is elogind would be in your system even if you don't have KDE or Gnome installed.
Other than that, it seems a nice new release with (finally) a up-to-date gcc 10.2, considerably improved to the one used in 14.2.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)

Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle » 16. Aug 2021, 19:14

gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan » 16. Aug 2021, 20:02

Yes, we're definitely getting closer! Although if I would have to guess I'd say we still have at least a few months to go. I think that's how long it usually takes from an RC1 to an actual release.

Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot » 30. Aug 2021, 09:31

Looks like Salix is getting ready... already. See this. :D
But gapan is right, the gap between RC1 and an official new release is usually a few months long. I am not holding my breath.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa » 21. Oct 2021, 10:22

I've been using it for two or three weeks now, and it doesn't feel too much like a hair shirt.

The only major annoyance has been trouble with NM and Wireless. I'm not sure how to approach package management, so I balked at switching to Wicd, which normally fixes such problems. It's also possible it was the wireless card in my new box. So instead I am just using a "client" router to connect via ethernet.

At some point I will probably try using Ratpoison instead of KDE, which will I think get rid of most of the other niggles.

Regarding package management, I suppose the royal road is to use slapt-get, obviously, pointing at Slackware repositories only; but with a local repo for my own builds, which is how I do it on my Salix box.

Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle » 23. Oct 2021, 15:34

mimosa wrote:
21. Oct 2021, 10:22
...it doesn't feel too much like a hair shirt.
For these, like me, who are not language English native, what do you mean?