A Good Word for Puppy Linux

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
Dennola4

A Good Word for Puppy Linux

Post by Dennola4 »

Hi there.

I have recently converted to Salix OS as my primary OS and am so very happy. I pray that Salix continues to be maintained and developed as consistently and reliably as Slackware itself.

On the subject of Linuces, I have to put a good word in for Puppy Linux. Small, amazing, and maintained by an awesome community which deserves the highest praise. Weighing in at under 200MB, Puppy can be installed to a flash-drive and kept on ones key-chain as a portable OS, a convenient back-up OS, and even a rescue disk. Having Puppy around has saved my butt quite a few times.

Further, a new project by Puppy Forum member Big Bass -- namely, TXZ_PUP -- is a must-have for anyone using a Slack-based distro. It is all of the genius of Puppy Linux, yet rebuilt with TXZ packages and using a Slackware kernel.

The project is still young, but I have been running it for a month now and so far no major issues.

I encourage you to check it out....though I'll warn you that some of Big Bass' artistic decisions are bizarre, beginning with the desktop image: A pirate ship with butterflies for sails.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57484

-Dennis :P
There are no stupid questions.
curmudgeonbob

Re: A Good Word for Puppy Linux

Post by curmudgeonbob »

better'n sliced bread if you ask me. i am running it from a usb stick on a dell inspion 3100. i tried linux mint xfce 8.0, zen walk, and salix which all worked well for a while, but over time after adding and removing programs on a regular basis, the installations would become unstable and crash occasionally. I reinstalled Salix, and then installed puppy to the usb stick and use the Salix /home partion to save media files. All of Ubuntu Lucid package repositories are available if one cannot find a package in the Puppy repositories. Puppy is fast, awe inspiring and a beautiful little distro.

"born again hedonist, card carrying member of the great unwashed, and acolyte for the church of body modification".
Dennola4

Post by Dennola4 »

I seriously can't say enough good about Salix as a primary OS and Puppy as a secondary OS. Glad you agree. :-)
wayne

Post by wayne »

agreed puppy is very good especially on very old laptop.
this old laptop gave many distros problem like no video, hang up at boot, cannot play on vlc player etc.
i had it on one old laptop and now used by an old person who knew nothing on computer,
to make it simple to use, i frugal install onto hard disk so no need for CD or USB stick.
kelean

Post by kelean »

I have been tring txz_pup and I have to say that it is very impressive what they have done with 117 MB.
Dennola4

Post by Dennola4 »

Yeah,

Puppy is definitely my favorite of the small distros. One of the things about starting with Puppy can be simply deciding which one to use. There are tons of versions, then pups and puplets such as the TXZ "fork-build". I posted on the Puppy forum once asking which Puppy most users would suggest as a stand-alone, universal, epitome of the Puppy experience and while I didn't get a definitive answer, versions 4.1.2 and 4.3.1 seemed to be popular.

As for TXZ pup, again, I just think it makes sense for those of us using a Slack-based distro. There is also Slaxer-pup, maintained by BigBass as well, which I think uses the Slackware 12.2 kernel:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41298

and Spup, maintained by Barry Kauler, benevolent leader of the Puppy movement:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01688

In fairness, Damn Small Linux (which has none of the personality of Puppy) is a great little geeked-out micro-distro, especially for older computers with precious little RAM:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
Elder V. LaCoste

Post by Elder V. LaCoste »

I know this thread is a bit old but with the recent review on DW I have to put in a good word for Puppy. Everyone still goes on and on about running as Root but whatever I like it.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I've had a lot of fun with Puppy, which will run on a rusty sardine tin; and used it as a "quick and dirty" rescue disc. 4.3.1 worked better for me than subsequent versions. For machines above a can of baked beans in size though, I admit I have come to prefer the greater comfort of Salix.