TinyCore Linux

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
damNageHack

TinyCore Linux

Post by damNageHack »

[ ] microcore-current.iso 11-Sep-2010 14:47 6.8M
[ ] tinycore-current.iso 11-Sep-2010 14:48 11M

LXDE is also available ...

:lol: :ugeek:

http://www.tinycorelinux.com/screenshots.html

[ This post should be no trolling. It is intended honestly to enthusiasts. Sorry ]
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
bioterror

Re: TinyCore Linux

Post by bioterror »

I've tried TinyCore few months ago.
It was a little confusing. Somehow I just didnt get it, even tho it was minimalistic, maybe just a little too much minimalistic.

But it surely is worth of trying :ugeek:
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Yes, exactly. Minimalistic.
But there is not much sense to it if you do not have an active internet connection to get the "extensions". :lol:
curmudgeonbob

Post by curmudgeonbob »

i was able to connect to the internet with a wired connection without any problems. has anyone figured out how to connect using a wireless connection? supposedly one can build ones own live cd. i thought the project was quiet interesting.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

No support for foreign distributions here :lol: :geek: Maybe ask the developers over there.
I - for myself - did only a very short test.
Why do you think that Salix can profit from that "very interesting" distribution?
salixosuser

Post by salixosuser »

Since I am a new Salix user I did not have a chance to add to this thread sooner...
Tiny Core Linux is a modular architecture Linux, run completely from memory. Applications are self-contained modules called 'extensions' which can be added at will to suit requirements of the user. Among small and fast (Which would include Austrumi and Slitaz) Tiny Core Linux is leading in innovation and architecture design. It is showing the direction where Linux should be going, away from bloat, from which most Linux distro have been suffering.
Similarly in the mid-size category Zenwalk was leading the pack, until Salix took over this lead after Zenwalk made serious mistakes in strategy. This category includes also Wolvix and Vector.
The big and fat ones on the other hand lost the original way of efficiency and dexterity and went the way of bloat and inefficiency, perhaps following bad example of Windows Vista, where eye candy replaced fuctionality and efficiency. Bloated and slow they are, mostly useless, hence
we have renewed trend to small and fast modular systems such as Tiny Core Linux.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

I agree totally to you, salixosuser.
But this distribution is useless unless you have a good working internet connection.
Or is there a way to have the repository for those "extensions" also "offline" at your computer?
Otherwise, I could also use an only-console Linux, maybe a Live CD, and I'll have no bloated system.
Or just one of those "modern" so called in browser operating systems ... bah!
Shador

Post by Shador »

damNageHack wrote:Or is there a way to have the repository for those "extensions" also "offline" at your computer?
As far as I can see, yes: http://tinycorelinux.com/concepts.html --> Modes of Operation
salixosuser

Post by salixosuser »

Yes. If you normally start from the minimal base CD and load applications (extensions) each time, then you are operating in 'cloud mode' and you do need network connection. If you compose your own system from modules (extensions) and configure your preferences, this would be made persistent if you wish and started as such each time, regardless whether you have network
Valiant

Post by Valiant »

I'm writing this two years on from salixuser's post. I too am interested in Tiny Core. By, 2012 it seems to have moved on and developed into an easy to use, yet powerful linux lego kit. It has educational benefits too because people like me, who have only limited experience of the CLI, can build a customised system block by block from almost nothing in a graphical enviroment. Their "extension" repos have pretty much everything required to do this. Then you learn what you need, in what sequence, and how it fits together by practical experimentation. I do this in at first in the "live/cloud" mode as a trial, then concoct an installation CD using their EZRemaster tool, also available as an extension.
Of course with so many great, ready made distros out there none of this is at all essential. However, if like me you enjoy, experimentation, creative projects and finding out how things work, such things have a natural appeal.
Tiny Core's apparently simplistic and rudimentary first impressions actually belie its genius and potentiality.
K.I.S.S. - Keep it Simple and Sublime.