ZenWalk 7

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
sqlpython
Donor

Re: ZenWalk 7

Post by sqlpython »

Salix is meant to be stable

Yes, that is what I read that ZenWalk is trending to Bleeding edge and Salix to Stable..
Which is why I chose Salix for my Slackware Distro Install..... 8-)
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

JRD wrote:
tsuren wrote:orage calender comes up if you click on the desktop clock
This is just a configuration of orage. I configured it like this on my Salix.
maybe i am extremely stupid... but how? i have not seen something obvious on the preferences of Orage. hum hum.
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

tsuren wrote:
tsuren wrote: how? i have not seen something obvious on the preferences of Orage. hum hum.
1- Right click on the panel time & choose 'remove'.
2- Right click on the panel & choose 'add elements', then go all the way down to 'Orage clock' right under the simple 'Clock' that was just removed.

;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
schlawi54

Post by schlawi54 »

sqlpython wrote:Salix is meant to be stable

Yes, that is what I read that ZenWalk is trending to Bleeding edge and Salix to Stable..
Which is why I chose Salix for my Slackware Distro Install..... 8-)
Stability is good as a base to try to go new ways. Therefore, bleeding edge is needed to improve things and detect potential risks and challenges. So a way in the middle has something of the best. 8-)
"Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?" (By Patrick Volkerding)
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

So a way in the middle has something of the best.
To each his own...
For myself I choose Stable..
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

sqlpython wrote:
So a way in the middle has something of the best.
To each his own...
For myself I choose Stable..
The distribution needs to be stable. I'm compiling bleeding edge software on my own and it's easy to go back to a stable version then. I've lost to much time in my life for fixing unstable distris and stuff :D
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

Akuna wrote:
tsuren wrote:
tsuren wrote: how? i have not seen something obvious on the preferences of Orage. hum hum.
1- Right click on the panel time & choose 'remove'.
2- Right click on the panel & choose 'add elements', then go all the way down to 'Orage clock' right under the simple 'Clock' that was just removed.

;)
yes... akuna. that is obvious and i was STUPID!! :) Thanks for that!
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
schlawi54

Post by schlawi54 »

thenktor wrote:I'm compiling bleeding edge software on my own and it's easy to go back to a stable version then.
+1
Bleeding edge is for people that know what they are doing. It is no good first impression for a new "normal" user if it can see immediately a lot of bugs. :lol:
"Besides, I think Slackware sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?" (By Patrick Volkerding)
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Bleeding edge is for people that know what they are doing.
It should be but it is not usually used by those who know what there doing.
Usually it is installed by people of low technical knowledge who have High Expectations
As a Developer of many years I have had too many encounters with these Users who download and install Bleeding edge only to quest after the newest features. Most of these Users are not ready for the Bugs and they Scream the Loudest. As a result I have lost my taste for bleeding edge. Just plain tired of fixing code..backporting..Work Arounds..Testing..reporting Bugs..Researching..Posting..Exchanging How Tos..etc
....Look at Windows it is always released full of BUGS (the user base are the Beta Testers)
....How about the UBuntus? Always in a state of Flux..
Personally, I have been using Debian Squeeze since it was in Unstable stage and now that it is about to move on to Stable I intend to stick with the incarnation for quite a bit.
For me it is a Pleasure to Use a Distro like Salix... :)
Stable is Good! :D
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

There are so many linux distributions around. Usually people say i like this distro for this particular reason.

But what if someone has critical data, and wants to be sure that its linux distribution will run like rock without problems? For this reason i use salix (slackware).

I have used so many distro's (gentoo, debian, ubuntu, suse, centos, fedora, etc.
Iincluding rolling distro's (like arch linux) too. After a while always returned to slackware.
So stability is important for everyday work.

And if someone wants to test new features or Bleeding edge software can play with as many distro's he likes to.
But if he is wisdom, will choose a stable system and when we speak about stability slackware (salix) is the best.
With slackware the user is the master of his system.