Other Slackware based distros

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
bboxM2011

Re: Other Slackware based distros

Post by bboxM2011 »

Akuna wrote:Other Slackware based distros we could learn something from:

kongoni

absolutelinux
-----
Been dabbling lately with Absolute, mainly because some say it works well with older machines. Of course that's not the maintainer's objective; he says he uses it for everything he does. Still I found the software load kind of heavy for my PIII. (Salix lxde works nicely for me.) In fact I had to upsize the partition I devoted to it to 6GB.

Curious also they keep switching text editors, going to scite a month ago. Then because I'm accustomed to $ and # as context indicators in a terminal prompt, I wound up editing .bashrc to return those and lose their > prompt.

Marj
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

I'm not sure Salix has anything to learn from them. My experience has been

Absolute: several non-functioning programs
ImagineOS: it took 4 attemps to find how to get X to run on my computer, and then MPlayer didn't work
Zenwalk: it refused to install my printer without explaining that it was because it hadn't setup CUPS

ImagineOS and Zenwalk also did something that is a real hate of mine: setting the internal clock to local time, Windows style.

Vector's OK, but I still prefer Salix.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

DavidMcCann wrote:I'm not sure Salix has anything to learn from them.
Probably not anymore...

Let's put things back in context, this thread was opened 2 years ago and had some meaning & purpose then, when we first got started with Salix and were developing our very first ISO. And at that time, yes, we did learn and 'borrowed' a couple things and ideas here and there and incorporated some in the unique cocktail we were concocting.

But even if it is always good to stay open and be ready to learn, there is much less need or reasons for that particular thread to still be alive nowadays.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

DavidMcCann wrote:ImagineOS and Zenwalk also did something that is a real hate of mine: setting the internal clock to local time, Windows style.
Why does this matter to you? The RTC is only used at system startup to get an initial system time. The only problem I can imagine at the moment is an offset when switching summer/winter time.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

thenktor wrote:
DavidMcCann wrote:ImagineOS and Zenwalk also did something that is a real hate of mine: setting the internal clock to local time, Windows style.
Why does this matter to you? The RTC is only used at system startup to get an initial system time. The only problem I can imagine at the moment is an offset when switching summer/winter time.
It wouldn't matter if I were actually going to install them permamently, obviously. But when I install a distro on my guest partition to test it, it annoys me if I forget that the time is an hour more than what's shown on the screen. In orther words, I have no sense of time and I'm a perfectionist :)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

DavidMcCann wrote:In orther words, I have no sense of time and I'm a perfectionist :)
:mrgreen:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
bboxM2011

Post by bboxM2011 »

Akuna wrote: Let's put things back in context, this thread was opened 2 years ago and had some meaning & purpose then, when we first got started with Salix and were developing our very first ISO. And at that time, yes, we did learn and 'borrowed' a couple things and ideas here and there and incorporated some in the unique cocktail we were concocting.

But even if it is always good to stay open and be ready to learn, there is much less need or reasons for that particular thread to still be alive nowadays.
-----
Didn't know that bit of history behind it. The title 'Other Slackware based distros' sounded like a general discussion to me. Just got going with Slack distros this year (well I had used Slax as live CD) after a few years with Debian descendants, esp Ubuntu descendants. It's very interesting to hear other people comment & share experience, esp. on the ones I've used myself.

For Zenwalk I was kind of thrown they use YAPM (yet another pkg mgr) and not slapt-get. The person who experienced broken programs in Absolute - me too. Chrome would not go once I installed 13.1.41.

How about this? I'm thinking the parent Slackware utility that sets up accts during install only takes alphanumeric characters in passwords. Perhaps it's something all the old hands know, but I did not read any caution about it at the time. My work environment has me conditioned to include other keyboard characters in passwords, and that did not work here. This caught me when installing Salix and Absolute both. Within the distro itself this is not a problem for passwd nor adduser...

Marj
Sigg3.net

Post by Sigg3.net »

I've used Zenwalk for a long time and can vouch for it, though it seems to have lost momentum these days.

Two quick and small Slack based distros I've run are Damn Small Linux (DSL) and Slax. Great for older laptops.

If speed is all you care about, however, check out Haiku OS (still in alpha) that I use as an e-mail checker/internet browsing instant-on OS. It is not Slackware based, not a Linux distro at all, but a revival of the BeOS operating system.
Just don't save anything precious there unless you can afford to lose it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I've read a review of Linvo, a live slack gnome distribution. Haven't actually used it but it seems they have an interesting installer. Maybe we should copy it.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/spo ... Community)
(look at the 2nd screenshot)
:P
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Linvo looks very promising. One of only Two Bulgarian based Linux Distros (that I know of).. The other notable being NetSecL..
All are Slackware based.
Salix is still the Best OOTBox Slackware I have yet to try..which have included... Slackware, Absolute, Zenwalk, Salix, Vector, Slax..
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate