kwort

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

kwort

Post by mimosa »

I've been playing with this distro based on Crux - http://www.kwort.org

The documentation is essential, but not sufficient, reading.

See also this review for some setup tips:

http://agentoss.wordpress.com/2011/10/1 ... nd-review/

kwort 3 (when they moved to Crux) dropped drivers (and firmware) in pursuit of simplicity; :twisted: so one has to do all that manually. I cheated by copying everything that seemed relevant from my Salix 13.37 partition on the same machine, and with a little tweaking managed to get wireless online. :D

However, in X (openbox, by the looks of it) the keyboard no longer works and the mouse doesn't work. The FAQ mentions this problem and suggests adding a line to xorg.conf (from memory) to fix it, so I created xorg.conf according to the instructions, but xinit then fails complaining about the absence of the module fbcon - but modprobe won't load it, and indeed, it seems it isn't really a module. In Salix, lsmod doesn't mention it, but Salix works.

Google is no help just because problems involving fbcon seem quite common.

As a next step, I'm thinking of creating a blank xorg.conf and adding just the one line suggested in the FAQ.

Has anyone tried kwort? If so, I'd be interested to hear how things went, and also any light you can shed on the fbcon problem. That may now be all that stands in the way of at least using kwort to surf the net. I believe it comes with Firefox preinstalled.
SalmonEater

Re: kwort

Post by SalmonEater »

I tried kwort and issues were nearly identical with yours [However, in X (openbox, by the looks of it) the keyboard no longer works and the mouse doesn't work. The FAQ mentions this problem and suggests . . . ] -- so gave up. I have better things to do than [ . . . adding a line to xorg.conf (from memory) to fix it . . . ].
Just anotther minor disappointment.
" . . . only when the last fish is caught will these people realize they cannot eat money." -- Cree proverb