Tired fo the *untu's

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
8on3s

Tired fo the *untu's

Post by 8on3s »

Not totally new to the Slack way, but I have had the longest run with .deb based systems. I had recently moved from Debian to Mint 12, It was underwhelming to say the least. My savior was Slacko puppy, a slack based puppy. It is the reason why I pushed so hard to find a great slack based distro. What should I expect from a Salix install, so far it has been a smooth install process, the quickest XFCE UI I have ever encountered, even in comparison to sidux and XFCE. The Gslapt setup and Sourcery are phenomenal for the pkg selection, only a few hiccups were discovered namely Google earth, and Chromium.

Just wanted to say its awesome to have found a slick Slack based distro, It seems to have started off on a good foot.
What are your feelings on Salix in comparison of all the others, and just what should a *untu regular expect?
Oracle911

Re: Tired fo the *untu's

Post by Oracle911 »

8on3s wrote:
Just wanted to say its awesome to have found a slick Slack based distro, It seems to have started off on a good foot.
What are your feelings on Salix in comparison of all the others, and just what should a *untu regular expect?
Well a year ago i tried *buntu, it was terrible experience. I'm still shaking whenever I think about that.
I`m a chemist, please be patient.
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5466/01kh2.jpg
My avatar is that babe who i looking for (in flesh).

I will be the next Steve Jobs and Richard Branson.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

At my work, most of all use some versions of Ubuntu, from the ones in 2010 to the last in 2011. Half of them (mostly new coworkers who just installed it on a brand new hardware) experienced freeze from time to time. Similarly, when I arrived, a computer with Ubuntu (first part of 2011) was given to me. After a lot of unpredictable freezes, I tested the RAM with memtest, then one asked me to stress test the processor too...so I did. No error at all. I was sick of it and reinstall ubuntu...still some freeze some times.
Ok, so after all this, I decided that I will install what I want, and installed Salix 13.37 (Xfce for me). From there on, all is working good and I have no freeze at all !
antmon

Post by antmon »

I don't know about the freezes but things breaking for no apparent reason is the way of *untus. All that have Slackware and most especially Salix
installed agree when I say that if you know Slackware you know Linux. You might get stuck sometimes (very very few) and when I say that you might get stuck I mean I'm stuck with a laptop in my work that I can't get slapt-get to pass the proxy I have in my company, but still I realy like Salix. Really, I guess I just had two problems with Salix: a laptop fan that didn't stop and the problem mentioned above.
hugok

Post by hugok »

i started my Linux experience with Ubuntu 8.10... it was easy for a windows user but IMHO ubuntu is too buggy but in the rest is a wonderful Distro.
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
Salixified

Post by Salixified »

Ubuntu 8.10 was my first Linux. Didn't care much for the baby-poo brown theme, but that was easily changed. 9.04 was better but slower, and I dealt with that by using their minimal CLI install and adding LXDE. Fast and light but buggy. I played with PCLinuxOS, Slax (actually installed to the hard drive like you're not supposed to do), Mepis, Crunchbang, Debian, and Mint. I discovered Xfce on Mint 9 and became an Xfce fanboy. When Mint Xfce switched to a Debian base they lost me (and maybe a lot of others for whom the Debian base was far more troublesome than the old Ubuntu base had been). I tried a couple more Xfce distros. PCLinuxOS had a Xfce edition called Phoenix which was gorgeous but egads, talk about bloat! As slow on my old computer as Mepis (KDE) had been. Back to the 'buntu family, I ran Xubuntu happily for awhile until they added PulseAudio and a bunch of other beta software which ticked me off, but it was easily removed at the time. I've been a Xubuntu fan until just lately, with updates coming fast and furiously even in the LTS edition. Two kernel updates in a single week, now my beloved favorite distro was scaring the heck out of me. "Broken after update" is a recurring theme in the 'buntu family, but it just doesn't happen in SalixOS. Not ever. "Lurking" in these forums before joining them (just yesterday), I looked back years and never saw a single "broken after update" complaint. Reading about Slackware's legendary stability and ultra-mega-super-duper long-term support, I was turned onto Salix after reading Caitlyn's review of it and her brilliant piece on why Ubuntu is a poor standard-bearer for Linux.

So this past week I tested Salix on a computer identical to my home computer and was completely stunned at it's phenomenal speed and simplicity. SalixOS is faster on this aging hand-me-down Dell than ever before. Between the rock-solid stability and ultra-long-term support of Slackware and the ease and simplicity of Salix, I was sold and have made the switch.

I remain a completely Salixified customer!
Another totally Salixified customer!