Porteus

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
reyoutiao

Porteus

Post by reyoutiao »

Has anyone tried Porteus? It seems highly compatible with Slackware and, apparently, can use the Salix repositories.

It's meant to be a portable OS. I took it for a short live tour and liked the presentation and functionality.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Porteus

Post by JRD »

I tried it on my USB key a month ago.
But for some reason (sorry I didn't remember), I finally didn't keep it on it.
GJones
Donor

Re: Porteus

Post by GJones »

IMO: It works well as a live or USB distro. KDE3/Trinity is fantastic - much nicer IMO than KDE4, and can run on much slower computers.

However, the package management is not so great - the combination of compressed modules, packages, and Slackbuilds leads to redundancy and brokenness, not unlike the Puppy Linux package management system. I don't think it's suitable for installing to the hard drive; which is a shame, because (again) Trinity is great.

P.S. Despite it's better performance than KDE4, Trinity is still a bit of a RAM hog. If you're running Porteus on a machine with less than 512 MB of RAM and no swap partition, you should probably enable zram.

(Actually, if you're using any distro with a recent kernel on any computer that can run it, you should probably enable zram. But that's another matter.)