SLS Salix

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
deja69

SLS Salix

Post by deja69 »

Just a bit of idle speculation...when im not trying to give myself an embolism trying to work out how all this technical geekery works (ill get there ...eventually o_0 ..just might take a few cold days in hell to do it ;) !!!)...i like some light refreshment reading about development history..especially the Bell Labs period which looked fun and with an array of colourful characters,before it got all cutthroat capitalism,and there seems to be a lot of tongue-in-cheek sense of humour,thankfully with Linux coming to the party we have regained the humour initiative to a degree :D .
So with Mr Torvalds efforts spearheading Peter MacDonalds 'Softlanding Linux System'...and Patrick and Ian both looking at SLS and saying 'hmmm okay ..nice ..but the holes in this OS means i can feel a breeze coming through my monitor' ..and they set to work and the rest,as they say was history in the making.
I cant say ive ever had my mitts on SLS,some of your more mature users may relate to it,but with regards to Salix ..bearing in mind theres been twenty years of development ,but if you were to use Salix's development model in relation to SLS as opposed to Slackware ..how different a species would it be ?
Heres an interview from Patrick from 1994 to give you a little focus http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2750
i dunno i just like ruminating ...maybe i have to much time on my hands :lol:
antmon

Re: SLS Salix

Post by antmon »

Thanks for the link to the linuxjournal. Excellent interview. Good to know.

Given the old and new news about Slackware, and I wish long life to Pat, what is going to happen when Pat leaves the project!?
EricC

Post by EricC »

While the details have not been publicly stated (from what I have read), there are contingency plans in place so Slackware will still exist.
deja69

Post by deja69 »

I have heard it say "Deadheads never die" !!! they just transmute to alternative dimensions ;)
My recent immigration to Salix..and Slackware et el.feels as fresh as a Spring morning..and im liking it a lot...weird its almost 'tactile' ,like saying you put the effort in i will reward you in kind (the MS experience is like wearing rubber gloves - just doesnt translate a love for the technology)..it explains the quiet contentment that i have detected from Slackers, and when you have that kind of currency at work..i really really dont think we have anything to be concerned about :D