openSUSE 12.2 RC2

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
Tim CowChip

openSUSE 12.2 RC2

Post by Tim CowChip »

The openSUSE 12.2 release is due next month. If you like building your own packages, this probably isn't the distro for you, but if, like me, you just want something to work out of the box and not have to do a lot of typing in an editor or terminal to get your system configured to your liking, openSUSE has all the point and click administrative tools you'll ever need.

Sometimes life's too short to install and configure YALD (Yet Another Linux Distribution).

I have installed openSUSE 12.2 RC2 on my main machine to spend less time setting it up and more time actually using it.

I still have a Salix machine that I maintain for my daughter. I really don't have to do anything it just runs as reliably as ever.
ImageImage
GJones
Donor

Re: openSUSE 12.2 RC2

Post by GJones »

SUSE Studio is cool. :)

I have rather fond memories of using OpenSUSE 11.4 Gnome when I was in college. Shame they went to Gnome 3 in 12.1.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

Building packages in openSUSE isn't any harder than in any other distro once you know how rpm works. I don't understand the comment about it being difficult at all.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

caitlyn wrote:Building packages in openSUSE isn't any harder than in any other distro once you know how rpm works. I don't understand the comment about it being difficult at all.
I never said it was difficult. My comment was meant to show tools like webpin, package search and "one-click-install" that openSUSE provides as ways of getting apps running on your system without having to request their addition to a repo or build them yourself.

Of course I am sure Linux/UNIX consultants from Raleigh find it easy to build packages for the Redhat Package Manager.
ImageImage
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

Tim CowChip wrote:Of course I am sure Linux/UNIX consultants from Raleigh find it easy to build packages for the Redhat Package Manager.
LOL. Yeah, this is Red Hat country for sure. I've built my share of Debian and Slackware packages too. :D I seriously doubt anyone who has experience building packages will have any real difficulty learning how to package to openSUSE standards.