Rolling Release of Salix?

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
jayseye

Re: Rolling Release of Salix?

Post by jayseye »

Yes djemos, thank you for the detailed reply, and for all your efforts with Slackel. I'm testing the Live version now on an old PC with 512MB RAM. That is insufficient, using the default settings, to fully boot to the KDE desktop.

It does boot OK to a text-mode console (init level 3). That's fine, because my goal is to adapt Slackel for use on even older, much less powerful PCs. So I've used slapt-get to remove all KDE packages, and install Fluxbox and XFCE. Initial results look good.

Would you be interested in supporting desktops other than KDE, and including kernels required for old CPUs which require huge.s rather than huge-smp.s ? Also, where would be the best place to continue this discussion: here, or on a Slackel forum, or perhaps on Google Plus?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

jayseye wrote:Yes djemos, thank you for the detailed reply, and for all your efforts with Slackel. I'm testing the Live version now on an old PC with 512MB RAM. That is insufficient, using the default settings, to fully boot to the KDE desktop.
It does boot OK to a text-mode console (init level 3). That's fine, because my goal is to adapt Slackel for use on even older, much less powerful PCs. So I've used slapt-get to remove all KDE packages, and install Fluxbox and XFCE. Initial results look good.
KDE need more than 1GB of RAM. I use salix-xfce on a old pc with 384MB of RAM. I suggest to use salix-xfce or salix-mate
Would you be interested in supporting desktops other than KDE, and including kernels required for old CPUs which require huge.s rather than huge-smp.s ? Also, where would be the best place to continue this discussion: here, or on a Slackel forum, or perhaps on Google Plus?
Use the installation ISO where there are both huge.s and hugesmp.s kernels to choose.
I support KDE editions on salix. New versions of kde tested on slackel, to be ready for the salix kde stable edition.
There is no meaning to support xfce or mate or other desktops on slackel since they are already supported excellent on salix.
I suggest to use salix-xfce or salix-mate for old pc's.

If you like to discuss more about it Google Plus or Slackel forum is ok.
jayseye

Post by jayseye »

Thanks again djemos, I appreciate your following me back on Google Plus. In a few hours I will continue this discussion in a post there, using my full name +Marc Paul Rubin < https://plus.google.com/u/0/102662062734138107918/posts >.

To wrap up, as I began with the first post here: my goal is to make use of old PCs by following Slackware -current, using lightweight desktops and some Salix tools, primarily for dependency resolution.

All replies here have made it clear that Salix will never follow Slackware -current. That's the point of using xfce and fluxbox with Slackel. Hope this clears up any confusion:
There is no meaning to support xfce or mate or other desktops on slackel since they are already supported excellent on salix.