Kiosk Mode

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
woodsman

Kiosk Mode

Post by woodsman »

I notice you folks have a Live CD beta available. I hope to download tonight or this weekend. In the mean time . . . .

I'm thinking about converting a 350 MHz PII box (448 MB RAM) into a web browser for the guest room. Nothing more and nothing less. Just a web browser.

That kind of relates to kiosk mode and I'm researching more about that topic. Salix might be a candidate. However, all I need is a basic window manager and a web browser so I am unsure.

There are security concerns I need to address. Yet one way or another I want the system to auto-login.

Many Live CDs auto-login with a guest account but they do so through a login manager in run level 4. I'm guessing your Live CD boots into run level 4. Please correct me if I'm guessing wrong. :) Although perhaps the easy way out for auto-login, run level 4 seems unecessary for a kiosk type machine.

Do you folks know how to auto-login in run level 3?

And perhaps share a tad more about your Live CD? Beta means known bugs . . . .

Thanks.
Shador

Re: Kiosk Mode

Post by Shador »

You just define your own runlevel (like 5) and let it launch your own runlevel. :D
This is what I use with openbox:

Code: Select all

x:5:respawn:/bin/su shador -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c 'cd; startx' >/dev/null 2>&1"
It's bascially taken from stillborn.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know what or who stillborn is. :)

I modified the text a bit because I did not want a true kiosk mode that would respawn the session when trying to exit. I wanted the account logged out so I can automate a shutdown:

x:3:wait:/bin/su kiosk -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c 'cd $HOME; source .bash_profile' >/dev/null 2>&1"

When the auto-login occurs the text from .bash_profile appears on screen rather than disappearing into the bit bucket. Can't figure that out. :(

I'm trying to configure .bash_profile such that when the user exits X the script performs an automatic logout and shutdown. I have the logout done but I think I have to add the user to the power group to perform the shutdown automatically.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Most known bugs from the beta version will be found on this thread http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=355

A new LiveCD version should be ready in a few days, you may want to wait for it. ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

A new LiveCD version should be ready in a few days, you may want to wait for it.
Okeydokey!
Shador

Post by Shador »

woodsman wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I don't know what or who stillborn is. :)

I modified the text a bit because I did not want a true kiosk mode that would respawn the session when trying to exit. I wanted the account logged out so I can automate a shutdown:

x:3:wait:/bin/su kiosk -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c 'cd $HOME; source .bash_profile' >/dev/null 2>&1"

When the auto-login occurs the text from .bash_profile appears on screen rather than disappearing into the bit bucket. Can't figure that out. :(

I'm trying to configure .bash_profile such that when the user exits X the script performs an automatic logout and shutdown. I have the logout done but I think I have to add the user to the power group to perform the shutdown automatically.
I don't think overwriting runlevel 3 is a good idea, use the unused 5 instead as I did and change initdefault to 5.

I don't see how you would want to shutdown the computer on X exit, if you don't even launch it (that's what startx, xinit or similar are supposed to do). I also don't think that .bash_profile is intended for any of this. Write your own wrapper for startx. Put it in /usr/local/bin so the users can't modify it.
To shutdown the computer as normal user, I just added 'shutdown -h now' to /etc/sudoers. If you don't want users to be able to execute this, you should do the shutdown thing in an own user (e.g root).