Ubuntu 14.04

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
retriever

Ubuntu 14.04

Post by retriever »

So I was curious today and burned an ISO of the new Ubuntu release. I am not impressed. The only reason I downloaded it was that I know Canonical will be around for a long time, and I need some reassurance that Salix is here to stay. It does look nice and has all the apps one would ever need, but I',m afraid it is not for me.

So will Salix be around for the future?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Ubuntu 14.04

Post by mimosa »

Even with a large distribution, there's no guarantee of long-term survival. Having said that, I'd be surprised if either Ubuntu or Salix disappears any time soon. The latter is really Slackware with a few home comforts, and Slackware has been around a great deal longer than Ubuntu. My bet is it will outlast it.

Salix also has the advantage that all its releases are "long term support"; so if you installed 13.0 back in the day, it is still getting security updates and bugfixes, and will do as long as Slackware continues to support it.

I'd say the main adantage of a "big" distro is the large community and repositories (all the apps one would ever need), rather than likely longevity. Ubuntu is the last one I'd choose though, on both counts. Quality is (arguably) more important than quantity.

For more advanced users, or the curious, the internals are important. Slackware follows the (annoyingly named) KISS principle. It's a lot easier to get your head round.
retriever

Re: Ubuntu 14.04

Post by retriever »

mimosa, Thank you so much for your reply! I hadn't known about all of the things you mentioned. I think I will be a Salix user for a long time.

Thanks again- :D