Switching from CentOS 7 to Salix 14.1

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
walterbyrd

Switching from CentOS 7 to Salix 14.1

Post by walterbyrd »

I don't like systemd. I think systemd is Red Hat's hostile takeover of Linux. I think systemd is like Microsoft's OOXML - they say it is "open" but they change it all the time, and do not document everything, so it is very difficult to avoid genuine Microsoft.

Once everybody is using systemd, I fully expect Red Hat will throw Debian, and CentOS, under the bus.

For now, it seems Slackware based distros are one of the few ways to avoid all that RH/Poettering garbage.
rokytnji

Re: Switching from CentOS 7 to Salix 14.1

Post by rokytnji »

Ok.

I just wanted to learn something new, myself. While staying in the confines of what I know, (Fluxbox).

AntiX 14 testing so far in 32 bit is not using systemd either.
We are using sysvinit instead while finding bugs.

But. systemd will probably make it into the final releases. 32bit and 64bit. After testing is over.
So, sysvinit 32 bit version only for development testing so the dev team can focus on getting this done right and then we will move on to 64 bit and systemd version. (systemd is not our priority at the moment)
walterbyrd

Post by walterbyrd »

What a shame. Maybe I'll switch to slackware.
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

walterbyrd wrote:What a shame. Maybe I'll switch to slackware.
I think you are misunderstanding what rokytnji is saying. He's saying that AntiX (based on Debian, which is switching to systemd) is probably switching to systemd, not Salix. Why that's relevant in a Salix forum (based on Slackware, which has NO plans of switching to systemd), I don't know. :roll:
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Walter,

I know this is an older post, but I hope you decided to give Salix a try and switch away from RedHat/CentOS. As JW stated, Slackware and Salix have no plans on using systemd. Slackware has been able to withstand other poorly chosen trends within Linux in the past, and I expect us to be able to do the same regarding systemd as well. It is a nice feature of how Slackware and Salix are setup, they do not have to follow what everyone is doing!