Another distro without systemd

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
obarun

Re: Another distro without systemd

Post by obarun »

@papasot
A big different exist between booting without systemd and provide a complete system architecture without systemd. it's one either. provide system with a mix between us produce inevitable bug
obarun : free to control your system
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

obarun wrote:@papasot
A big different exist between booting without systemd and provide a complete system architecture without systemd. it's one either. provide system with a mix between us produce inevitable bug
I know, and I respect your work and your efforts (I actually tried your work on a spare laptop, as I did with many other distros/efforts to make a systemd-free system). My main issue with Manjaro is not the inevitable bugs. It's the extreme Window$-like appearance, automatic installation of proprietary graphics drivers without even asking the user, etc. I guess they tried hard for all that, while they could spend the time for something more useful, such as making their system-update working instead of having 150+ unresolved updates right after installing, all stalled because they "need" openrc-core (which is already installed).
Of course, it's their time, not mine, and they can spend it in whatever they see fit. In the end, they try for a systemd-free system afterall, so they do well.

Personally, I doubt it is possible to build a completely systemd-free system starting from a distro that openly adopted it, such as Arch or Debian. They are both infected to the bone, eventually systemd takes over pretty much everything, even things far from being related to a so-called "init" system. So trying to dodge systemd while the distro you start of is using it everywhere seems to me way harder than just starting from a distro, even outdated, that never used it in the first place.
In the meantime, I need a computer to get the job done without dodging systemd all the time, and without my libraries suddenly won't compile just because the disto adopted the newest gcc version that is not well-tested yet. And Salix just do that for me.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
obarun

Post by obarun »

i'm not talking about obarun. i don't matter if people like or not my work, i mean it's work for me so... :), just i share it.
Well in general slackware/salix, debian, arch, ubuntu is not a problem. every distro have some tools as permit as change what do you want on the system. (arch is a rolling release but people are doesn't constrain to update the system when it work for them). the real problem is Kdbus and the userspace between him and libudev stuff. if nobody provide a solution, pass to systemd will be obligatory. Old hardware will cause problem too. kernel maintenance is only two years not more. for lamba people is not realy a problem but for a society with an huge of server......
Sorry for my english, it's very difficult for me to explain some stuff like that

note : please if you have time make a feedback about your test
obarun : free to control your system
dbvu

Post by dbvu »

Hi,
Got here looking for another systemd free os. I have been using Manjaro openrc for over a year now and it has been rock solid, I have not had any problems updating except once recently that was easily solved. As far as looks, it's very easy to change to your liking and not much different out of the box as the "full" Salix install which I'm using to write this. I'm very impressed with Salix and Manjaro Open-rc. A big thank you to all the developers.

db
travis82

Post by travis82 »

Recently I have tried MX on my dedicated partition for distro testing. Amazingly MX provide a dual boot system for both sysvinit and systemd during startup (I don't know how MX developers have done that). Personally I didn't notice any significant difference between them concerning boot time or system performance. I doubt typical desktop users care about init system of their linux distros or even need to learn how to configure them.

Anyhow, There are still plenty descent non-systemd distros for people who don't want systemd. Antix and MX twins are to solid candidates. As far as I know LMDE has not adopted systemd yet. I have had very good experience with PCLinuxOS and rolling release fans will find it very conservative and stable. PCLOS has a community edition for Xfce fans too. Finally, don't forget Slackware (the most unix-like linux distribution) and don't forget Salix.

Sorry for my english
LCJr

Post by LCJr »

I've been using Void Linux full time for the last month and no complaints. Uses Runit for init system and they build all their packages from source. It's a 'cutting edge' rolling release so in that way similar to Arch which isn't going to appeal to everyone. ISO's with different DE's are available or barebones 'net install', very different from Arch:) ISO's are very minimal, core system, DE group and Firefox browser. Downside is it's still a fairly new small distro and documentation is a little sparse and scattered but improving.

I tested it for about six months prior to taking the plunge. Started with daily updates and then kept waiting longer to update. Last update I let it sit for about a month and half and everything updated fine and worked. Boots as fast or faster than systemd and is lighter on resources if that's important to you.

I've gotten to where I like the cutting edge rolling distros but not without a rock solid distro like Salix to fall back on in case something goes wrong. Or more like when I screw something up.