Another distro without systemd

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
bobo
Douche bag

Another distro without systemd

Post by bobo »

Desktop: Celeron - 2 GB RAM - HD 160 GB - Slackel/Salix - icewm/jwm - Grub
KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid
icaroperseo
Donor

Re: Another distro without systemd

Post by icaroperseo »

Manjaro? Needless, look this: http://systemd-free.org/.

Enjoy! :twisted:

tessi

Post by tessi »

rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

While AntiX is on the list and I am also a distro team member of it.

I try and not look through a narrow lens when needing a tool for a job. It is just too limiting a way to live life.
If it works, fine. If not. Oh well. No biggy.
No one twisted my arm. Especially when I am borrowing the free tool.
8-)

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

This one has systemd and works pretty well also

http://sourceforge.net/projects/crunchbangmonara/
r
Edit: Teaching myself GhostBSD has been kicking my butt on a daily basis. I have been breaking xorg with updater and unfamiliar commands and expectations when running certain commands. Install one thing. Update. Remove 128 others, yes or no? Yes.Break
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

roky,

Unfortunately, for the short term, we are entering a period where Linux will be relegated to systemd/Linux. openRC is not supported enough to be a viable alternative yet, removing systemd is very problematic as it causes constant breaks, especially on upgrades and requires way too much work on the maintainers to constantly remove it.

Options would be stick with BSD style for as long as possible, bite the bullet (so to speak) and use systemd but confine it with uselessd (not used much either) or for Slack to switch to Linux kernel and BSD userspace.

Longterm, I think alternatives and forks may present themselves, but not if the major distros don't want them. As long as RedHat, openSUSE, Debian and Arch are pro systemd then the rest are a bit stuck with it.
jcoleman

Post by jcoleman »

Thought PCLOS was also without systemd. People who use it seem to like it. Have it installed in VirtualBox but haven't done much with it myself, mostly because of time.
obarun

Post by obarun »

two choice in life :

- follow
- think for oneself

i've made the choice, i fight against systemd. but it's personnal viewing.
if everyone tell "i can't make nothing against systemd", systemd will be win that's sure. We can make better than lennart POTTER and his wand called systemd.
However it's a choice :).
obarun : free to control your system
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Well, thats the great thing about Slackware/Salix...when you move slow it allows time to adjust to the changes slowly. Maybe in a few years systemd would have come and gone..LOL, or a fork presents itself, or we realize that life goes on even with sticking to BSD style. :D
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Manjaro OpenRC is indeed systemd-free by default, but it's not bug-free either. Updating the system just after installing the OS won't work, complaining that openrc-core is needed (although openrc-core is already installed). Furthermore, it tries hard to mimic Window$ by tweaking xfce. Last but not least, it uses gcc 5.2.x, which seems to be experimental (several of my programs, perfectly working with gcc 4.9.x, won't work complaining about non-existant errors).

So no, I think I'll stick with Salix/Slackel.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
ginsim

Post by ginsim »

@ rokytnji , how is GhostBSD, I tried it once when it was seriously in an infant stage. loads of issues, but I oddly enough kind of liked it. My first foot in that world. I thought about trying it out this weekend actually.

cheers
simgin

PS. I still have an Antix lappy running, thanks btw. I only see Anticapitalista in the BBQ forums now. We are all busy :)
My Doctor is called Racket.