An interesting post on Debian forum regarding its future

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
ChuangTzu
Donor

An interesting post on Debian forum regarding its future

Post by ChuangTzu »

The OP was concerned about the possibility of Microsoft buying RedHat or at least becoming a majority shareholder etc....and how that would affect Debian.

This was one reply
To address the question as posed in your thread topic: if RedHat <does X>, then so does Debian, regardless of whatever X may be. As a purely practical matter, Debian is now far too dependent on RedHat to make any sort of large, consequential decisions on its own.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127768

Kudos to Slackware and Salix!
Papasot
Donor

Re: An interesting post on Debian forum regarding its future

Post by Papasot »

I'm not surprised at all. Debian "sold its soul to the devil" quite some time ago, and it's too late to fix that, even if they wanted to. Which I doubt.

Afterall, the "veteran Unix administrators" forked Debian for a reason.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

ChuangTzu wrote:Hey papasot,
Is this you: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 8&start=15 ;)
One of the critics there is me, indeed (the one with the obviously similar nickname, which is actually my real-life nickname for like 30 years now).
I am not active in the Debian forums. Actually, your post here motivated me to bother posting there and tell them again how much they screwed it up. Anyway, Debian is history for me now. And it's history in general; Debian died, now they provide "Debian Poettering edition" a.k.a "just another crappy distro, infected by systemd to the bone".

I probably said it again, but I am glad they screwed up Debian. Afterall, this made me discover Salix and Slackel. I should be grateful to them for that.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

haha Papasot...will be interesting to see what affect Devuan has on Debian if any.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

ChuangTzu wrote:haha Papasot...will be interesting to see what affect Devuan has on Debian if any.
I'll stick to Salix, but I wish to the Devuan project all the best. Didn't try it myself, but I have a friend's report saying it works pretty nicely.

In fact, it would be nice if all distro developers who didn't adopt systemd unite in one thing: adopting a common real init system (not an intrusive poo like systemd) - be it eudev, or OpenRC, or whatever they see fit, and use it as the default init system in their distributions. This would create a united anti-systemd front which could stand way better against the systemd plague.
However, I'm afraid I am just daydreaming. It is very common in the Linux word to argue about anything, like the pointless "Editor wars" or "window manager wars" (yes, I admit I participated in such wars myself - "Emacs rocks!"). So I see very slim chances, if any, for any anti-systemd front to happen.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Papasot wrote:
ChuangTzu wrote:haha Papasot...will be interesting to see what affect Devuan has on Debian if any.
I'll stick to Salix, but I wish to the Devuan project all the best. Didn't try it myself, but I have a friend's report saying it works pretty nicely.

In fact, it would be nice if all distro developers who didn't adopt systemd unite in one thing: adopting a common real init system (not an intrusive poo like systemd) - be it eudev, or OpenRC, or whatever they see fit, and use it as the default init system in their distributions. This would create a united anti-systemd front which could stand way better against the systemd plague.
However, I'm afraid I am just daydreaming. It is very common in the Linux word to argue about anything, like the pointless "Editor wars" or "window manager wars" (yes, I admit I participated in such wars myself - "Emacs rocks!"). So I see very slim chances, if any, for any anti-systemd front to happen.
Those "wars" add to the fun of Linux. Was involved in a few as well. LOL
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

ChuangTzu wrote:Those "wars" add to the fun of Linux. Was involved in a few as well. LOL
Alright, I'll try you then.
(1) Real men do it with Emacs only. If you use vim, you suck.
(2) Real men barely use a window manager, and if they do, it is a lightweight one, and its only purpose is to have many terminals in one screen. If you use bloated window managers, especially KDE or Gnome, you suck.
(3) Real men write documents in LaTeX only. LyX is permitted as a front-end to LaTeX, but If you use any word processor which is Word-like, you suck.
(4) Real men don't even have a single Window$ partition in all their computers (if it doesn't play on Linux, it isn't worth playing). If you have any Window$ partition, you suck.
[jokes]
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

OMG pap....I'm some sort of stud then.....LMAO

wait, i like nano for cli editing, what does that mean? Although I did use emacs for web browsing back in the day.

PS: I am HuangLao on Debian forum, notice my gentle nudging the post there towards Salix... ;)
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

ChuangTzu wrote:wait, i like nano for cli editing, what does that mean?
Nano is always there, no matter what distro you use, so it's a must.
ChuangTzu wrote:PS: I am HuangLao on Debian forum, notice my gentle nudging the post there towards Salix... ;)
I noticed, kind of obvious, I guess. However, don't expect much, because the biggest weapon in systemd's armory is today's "average user's indifference". Most people just don't care what init system is used (although systemd is NOT an init system, but they don't care about that either). Most users would call you a "nerd" because you care about such "technical details".

Once upon a time, the average Linux user cared about all that. But the "easy to use" trend attracted people barely interested on Linux, so I believe the "average user" shifted to the "newbie" side. Ubuntu has its big share on that. When I first saw someone plugging a usb stick on a laptop running Ubuntu, then a window popped up saying "New hardware detected" I said to him "What the heck is this. This is not Linux!"

Sometimes I am missing the old times, when installing GNU/Linux was not that easy, just because of what the "average Linux user" is today.