Vector Linux

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
AlYuSed

Vector Linux

Post by AlYuSed »

What you can say about it? This is an attempt to make Ubuntu from the Slackware? They even offer it as a commercial product. Presumably, it's pretty well refined and polished. Apparently, Vector Linux 7.2 will be released soon (beta, RC1, RC2 and RC3 came out monthly, from May to August). So I think, should I look at it? Has anyone here used it?
Anyone who on 24 October, 1917 had a chance to snort cocaine on the deserted and inhuman Petrograd avenues, knows that man is not the king of nature. -- Victor Pelevin, "Crystal world"
DidierSpaier

Re: Vector Linux

Post by DidierSpaier »

Well this Slackware derivative exists since a long time. I have played with it a few minutes some time ago but I can't say much about it, although I have contacted the team for a possible cooperation a few years ago. But hey said that internally they have now diverged from Slackware.

I see here: ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinu ... o-release/ that they just released a V 7.2, though they didn't announce it. I am downloading it now, just out of curiosity.

In case you didn't came across this feature, distrowatch.com can list all Slackware derivatives they have registered:
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostyp ... ive#simple

Slint is not listed, I will have to request its inclusion on the waiting list :mrgreen:

TLDR: Try it and make your own opinion.
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

DidierSpaier wrote:But hey said that internally they have now diverged from Slackware.
Apostates! On fire them!
I see here: ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinu ... o-release/ that they just released a V 7.2, though they didn't announce it. I am downloading it now, just out of curiosity.
Then tell about your experiences?
In case you didn't came across this feature, distrowatch.com can list all Slackware derivatives they have registered:
Yes, I know, a lot of times came to this website in a period of distro-hopping. :)
TLDR: Try it and make your own opinion.
I spent a lot of time. I made my choice and will change it only if, for example, Vector Linux has some killer feature. I don't even know what it could be. May be, if it is carefully licked and have easy virtualization. However, this does not mean anything special. Alt Linux Workstation is corporate distro with preinstalled QEMU, but I do not really like it.
Anyone who on 24 October, 1917 had a chance to snort cocaine on the deserted and inhuman Petrograd avenues, knows that man is not the king of nature. -- Victor Pelevin, "Crystal world"
maximus

Post by maximus »

AlYuSed wrote:if it is carefully licked and have easy virtualization
You have that right here ;)
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

maximus wrote:
AlYuSed wrote:if it is carefully licked and have easy virtualization
You have that right here ;)
In this case, I will look at it.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

There are a lot of Slackware derivatives out there. Only Salix is real open source. It is the only one which has in public in git the source code of the scripts needed to build the Salix installation and live isos as also all the code of salix-tools and other software developed in house. This is the big difference with other distributions. Of course Slint and Slackel also have the source in public for everyone. Another pros is the friendly community which provide help to everyone.
This is the reason to choose a distribution besides stability, artwork, speed easy of use.
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

djemos wrote:This is the reason to choose a distribution besides stability, artwork, speed easy of use.
You are right, I have nothing bad to say about the this community. Really helped me with patience, even though I asked a stupid question. Besides I like Salix, I'll try to arrange it to my taste (has already started to do). I looked up information about Vector Linux in russian segment of Internet, and I did not like it much. Translated by Google:
But the set of applications is very peculiar. The fact that OpenOffice.org and SeaMonkey (the successor to the integrated Mozilla) are used by default as the office suite and browser, instead of the corresponding KDE applications, you can understand: the idea of ​​insufficient functionality of the latter is very widespread. It is more difficult to understand the motivations of developers who included a large number of Gtk-applications in the distribution, including those that are conclusively inferior to their KDE-analogues. For example, the existing in the distribution of Bluefish to the possibilities of Quanta is far from reaching.

The abundance of duplicating programs is striking. So, from browsers, except for SeaMonkey, there is not only konqueror, which is understandable - it is an integral part of KDE, - but also FireFox. As part of the main menu, I counted three instant messaging clients (IM), three raster image viewers, three programs for working with digital cameras, two IRC clients. And to recount audio and media players is banal too lazy - the impression is that they are there all collected. In general, for light and compact, according to the developers declaration, the distribution package, duplicating applications is clearly in excess. Willy-nilly comes to mind ZenWalk, rigidly staffed by the principle: one task - one program ...
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Well, I just started it in a VirtualBox VM. They have a graphical installer but I am stuck at some step so I won't waste more time trying it. I also mounted the ISO to look inside. There is no EFI able bootloader, thus no way to install it on an NVMe drive, for instance. The information files at the root of the ISO are several versions behind. I have extracted the list of packages from the file PACKAGES.TXT. As I can't attach it to this post I have uploaded it here. That's all I can say.

PS I have answered your question in the Russian forum.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

DidierSpaier wrote:Well, I just started it in a VirtualBox VM. They have a graphical installer but I am stuck at some step so I won't waste more time trying it. I also mounted the ISO to look inside. There is no EFI able bootloader, thus no way to install it on an NVMe drive, for instance. The information files at the root of the ISO are several versions behind. I have extracted the list of packages from the file PACKAGES.TXT. As I can't attach it to this post I have uploaded it here. That's all I can say.
I second that. It seems to be one distribution behind (not updated the last two years?).
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)