Why I always come back to Salix in the end...(Zenwalk)

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
Kingpin

Why I always come back to Salix in the end...(Zenwalk)

Post by Kingpin »

Some time ago I wrote an article about Salix on my website (https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/salix.html), and there I said a few bad words about Zenwalk (the only other distro with the "one application per task" philosophy). Yesterday I decided I'd be fair and check it out. Installation was text-based, but a breeze (I'm familiar with the Slackware text installer - newbies might not be though). Anyway, I decided to use the "upgrade all packages" option (with the default repository). And it upgraded Geany from 1.28 to 1.33. I try to turn it on and..."GLIBC 2.25 is missing". So it upgraded Geany to a version that requires a glibc that it doesn't ship...kind of a bad decision if you ask me...

Also, there is nothing like Network Manager to detect your Wifi. So you have to input stuff. Seriously, it's the 21st century...

Salix rules!
DidierSpaier

Re: Why I always come back to Salix in the end...(Zenwalk)

Post by DidierSpaier »

Kingpin wrote: 26. Sep 2018, 11:59And it upgraded Geany from 1.28 to 1.33. I try to turn it on and..."GLIBC 2.25 is missing". So it upgraded Geany to a version that requires a glibc that it doesn't ship...kind of a bad decision if you ask me...
I see here that geany 1.33 was updated on Mon Mar 12 10:14:17 CET 2018, but glibc was upgraded to 2.28 on Fri Sep 21 18:51:07 UTC 2018 as shown in the ChangeLog for Slackware64-current. So geany should be rebuilt against the new glibc.

That's for the explanation. Now to get a fix from Zenwalk's maintainer who probably does not visit this forum often your post doesn't help much. I suggest that you post this issue here instead.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Geany was just rebuilt against the new glibc for Zenwalk and should now work, cf. the ChangeLog.

Caveat: I don't have Zenwalk installed so couldn't try it myself.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Hi Kingpin,

I added your review to the main list: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7351&p=42624#p42624 .

Nice job! 8-)
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

Zenwalk doesn't offer a LiveCD anymore, so new users who don't have (or want) VirtualBox can't even take it for a test drive! That's a mistake IMO, but it's very cool that donations to Zenwalk go straight to Slackware.