SalixOS May Inherit Lots of New Users Soon

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: SalixOS May Inherit Lots of New Users Soon

Post by djemos »

Artim wrote: 19. May 2019, 23:26 An advanced kernel updater for a LiveUSB
We have in salix two scripts for updating kernel + initrd in a live usb and then boot with the new kernel.
One script is for huge kernel and the other for generic kernel.
hugok

Post by hugok »

MX Linux, IMHO is just antiX customize.
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

hugok wrote: 4. Jun 2019, 14:23 MX Linux, IMHO is just antiX customize.
It's more like "Mepis Lite" to me. The name MX is taken from Mepis and antiX, as both distros share developers.
hugok

Post by hugok »

I do not say it's a bad Linux distro (even because I help MX and also antiX in their translations) but I find it MX Linux a bit confusing.... too many tweaks.

Tired of those distros, have only found peace in Slackware.(and Salix) because i'm becomming a lazy Slacker and i really like the project.
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
jcoleman

Post by jcoleman »

hugok wrote: 5. Jun 2019, 15:36 I do not say it's a bad Linux distro (even because I help MX and also antiX in their translations) but I find it MX Linux a bit confusing.... too many tweaks.

Tired of those distros, have only found peace in Slackware.(and Salix) because i'm becomming a lazy Slacker and i really like the project.
Last line is a good way to put it. Tried MX in VirtualBox and just didn't see the point really. Salix has been the main distro in the house for some time and haven't had any reason to change. Any issues (few) have been fixed by the help of the forum and a tweak here and there.
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

I chose two "newbie friendly" distros to introduce new people to Linux, often those who had older computers that needed something to replace the resource-hungry Microsoft OS they were used to.

But I don't do a lot of that any more, and it's likely that Salix will become my only distro, on all 3 of my machines (desktop, laptop, and spare 32-bit desktop).
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

The MX team would want something less conservative.
Actually, using it into the 19 version you could see how difficult the Buster base was making things.
One good option for them might be to base MX on the Russian ALT Linux as this is already set up so that SysV works on par with systemd, no limitations.
They might not like that the systemd lib is installed (at least on the installation I'm typing on now where I tried all the desktop environments there is, maybe that dragged in something).
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

hugok wrote: 5. Jun 2019, 15:36 I do not say it's a bad Linux distro (even because I help MX and also antiX in their translations) but I find it MX Linux a bit confusing.... too many tweaks.

Well, you can mostly ignore the tweaks and get on with your business. MX 18 was just about the perfect distro, 19 not so much - in large part because the Debian base got problematic.
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

I have read that too, that Debian 10 and "higher" (Testing, Sid, etc) were getting huge and complex. It's like Captain Scott (formerly of the Starship Enterprise and promoted to "Captian of Engineering" for the new Excelsior Class starships) said:

"The more turns you put in the pipe, the easier it is to clog up the drain."

The sheer wisdom of Star Trek!
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

The problems start when you try to use another init than systemd, other than that I believe Debian works well, don't have an installation now except Sparkylinux based on Debian Testing. This is for some reason very slow, I installed it to check out linux gaming but do not boot into it much.