Slackware 15

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
hakerdefo

Re: Slackware 15

Post by hakerdefo »

XFCE is the sanest desktop environment available currently. Runs equally good on older hardware. And no matter what people think or say, not everybody in the world uses computers with eight core CPU, 32 GB of RAM, RTX 3090 and 4K display. With a bit of a work, XFCE can be made to look as good as anything out there.
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

hakerdefo wrote: 6. Feb 2022, 21:18 XFCE is the sanest desktop environment available currently. Runs equally good on older hardware. And no matter what people think or say, not everybody in the world uses computers with eight core CPU, 32 GB of RAM, RTX 3090 and 4K display. With a bit of a work, XFCE can be made to look as good as anything out there.
If the Forum had a "LIKE" button, I would like this one too.
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

Artim wrote: 7. Feb 2022, 10:51
hakerdefo wrote: 6. Feb 2022, 21:18 XFCE is the sanest desktop environment available currently. Runs equally good on older hardware. And no matter what people think or say, not everybody in the world uses computers with eight core CPU, 32 GB of RAM, RTX 3090 and 4K display. With a bit of a work, XFCE can be made to look as good as anything out there.
If the Forum had a "LIKE" button, I would like this one too.
Thanks mate :D
BTW I really enjoyed the message of the latest post on your blog,
When IGNORANCE SCREAMS, intelligence moves on.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Hell, yes, XFCE has everything I will ever need and more, still being lightweight. I run XFCE in an ancient netbook with 1 Gb RAM, and in the past I actually did the same on a much older PC with even less RAM than that. Openbox is lighter, but Salix with XFCE runs just fine on pretty much any computer I tried. For several years I use Salix and Slackel (with XFCE and Openbox, respectively) on every computer I own, old or newer, and I never missed any "feature" other desktop environments "offer".
You can easily make XFCE look more "modern", but in my opinion this just for people who want to want it to look like those resource-sinks like KDE or Gnome or even worse Window$... no, thank you.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
hakerdefo

Post by hakerdefo »

@ Papasot I agree with you 100 % :)
Artim
Donor

Post by Artim »

I think that is why even many distros intended for use by children - even very little children - base their interface on a modified Xfce desktop. And I think it follows the KISS principle (Slackware philosophy) more closely than the others too.
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

I'm a lazy slacker and will stay with 14.1 and 14.2 until they fail to operate. Xfce is crucial for me to continue with Linux on limited hardware, dual-core machines, 12 to 16 years old now. KDE has some good programs on board, but it's more efficent to use things like Kolourpaint, Gwenview and Kdenlive on a Xfce desktop. KDE as a desktop environment performs incredibly poorly on old hardware for what it has to offer.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Slackware 15.0 review on Distrowatch
Reader comments
hugok

Post by hugok »

A decent review... at least gives some attention to the Slackware project. But those who use slackware like me already know, that, as Jesse Smith wrote:

"things about using Slackware is that the underlying approach doesn't change. If you set up Slackware 20 years ago, the process is virtually the same today as it was then"
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I posted the above link for a fruitful discussion and exchange of views because after so many years the slackware team does not integrate tools that make the user's life easier, such as the excellent salix tools so that after installation the user is in the graphical environment and can easily use the PC, without any impact on the stability and reliability of the slackware. The opposite would attract more users to the distribution. This is why derivatives distributions such as salix and others were created.
Of course everyone can have their point of view, all points of view are accepted and respected. Redhat 5.0 was my first linux installed on 1998. On 2000 I came in contact with slackware and facing all this and because I wanted to make my life easier I made the first slackel on 2004 or 2005, i don't remember exactly after so many years. And unfortunately after 20 years the situation has not been changed.