Slackware 15

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
User avatar
missTell
Posts: 86
Joined: 19. Apr 2018, 06:45

Re: Slackware 15

Post by missTell » 9. Dec 2021, 16:00

Since the most people use the 1920 / 2560 screens, the most people would need something like 40 / 50 / 60 Px taskbar.

Windows 10 default taskbar height is not accidentally 50 Px. A Billion (~s of) users, and telemetry ...

Even if Xfce is kinda broken, there are some things one can do, to make it better.

https://ibb.co/WB212Sn

https://ibb.co/z2mJLvn

https://ibb.co/TRk5bhM

That's how the 'Frankensteinx Face' should look. ;)

I uploaded a VirtualBox VM of Stuckware 15 in 'People', if anybody cares.

You would want to check the 'home': .icons, .themes, Documents and the configuration folder (linked folder in 'home').
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)

User avatar
missTell
Posts: 86
Joined: 19. Apr 2018, 06:45

Re: Slackware 15

Post by missTell » 12. Dec 2021, 17:45

@gapan

I still think how building a distro with Xfce is a bad idea (currently not a single one functions properly), and how building Salix Plasma would be a much better idea, however, if it has to be Xfce, I also noticed, that Slackware 15 is missing some neat extensions, and you should look over to GitHub ...


Docklike Taskbar

It has some issues, as we could see, but it also makes Xfce look like 2012, instead of 2002.

https://ibb.co/9VtYBqr

It has that Windows-like "miniature preview", which Plasma also implemented.

https://ibb.co/V90RDx8


Xfdashboard

... is very Gnome3-like and can hugely improve the usability.

https://ibb.co/KbQFZnT


Xfce Backup & Restore

... is to be found in many Xfce-based distributions and is the best thing ever, not only for the nerds.

https://ibb.co/mtLRnZM

One makes the backup of the default settings, and if something goes wrong, one can at least come back to where one started per one single click.

https://ibb.co/bdcGdWg

As a distro-maker, you get the possibility to make a few pre-configurations, like 30 / 40 / 50 Px, or taskbar bottom / left, and all it needs for a 'victim' is to click-select and apply -- and automagically, it just works.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)

User avatar
missTell
Posts: 86
Joined: 19. Apr 2018, 06:45

Re: Slackware 15

Post by missTell » 13. Dec 2021, 09:12

ivanovnegro wrote:
3. Dec 2021, 16:45
missTell wrote:
3. Dec 2021, 16:29
The Linux community consists mainly of selfish, nerds, fiddlers and hobbyists ...
Wow. Thank you for your kind words.
That wasn't about you in person, or anybody else on this forum in particular.

That was about the general state of Linux.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lin ... ction.html

https://blogs.gnome.org/christopherdavi ... llaborate/
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)

User avatar
Papasot
Donor
Posts: 147
Joined: 3. May 2015, 18:37
Location: Patras, Greece

Re: Slackware 15

Post by Papasot » 22. Dec 2021, 13:42

missTell wrote:
12. Dec 2021, 17:45
I still think how building a distro with Xfce is a bad idea (currently not a single one functions properly), and how building Salix Plasma would be a much better idea
... (I could quote a lot more here from the same author)
Seriously, why all this nonsense?

First of all, Xfce is NOT broken. Every single distribution I tried that comes with Xfce 4.14 as default works GREAT (and of course Salix's 4.12 also works without any problem for years). You say "currently not a single one functions properly". Well... that's simply a completely false statement. It seems to me you used a distribution that doesn't come with Xfce preconfigured, and you just don't know how to configure it yourself, despite the fact it's pretty easy. Now, 4.16 is the latest stable release, and all the evidence I have says Slackware 15 will come with it, plus other rolling distributions will probably switch from 4.14 to 4.16, eventually. I can easily bet 4.16 also works great. and you are just complaing for the sake of complaining.

Second, if you think a distribution should not come with Xfce as default because "it is broken" then spend a few hours to configure a lightweight Openbox session, where you can pick the taskbar you like (since you seem so picky about it). Or go for whatever else you wish instead of Xfce. You seem to like that bloated resource-devourer called KDE - well go for it. Linux is all about freedom.

Third, my several-years-experience says "selfish" is FAR from describing pretty much anyone active in Salix forums. And this is also true for the vast majority of people in other GNU/Linux forums, I might add (of course exceptions do exist and they just verify the rule). As for the "nerds, fiddlers and hobbyists", well... you say it as if it is something bad. :D
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)

User avatar
missTell
Posts: 86
Joined: 19. Apr 2018, 06:45

Re: Slackware 15

Post by missTell » 22. Dec 2021, 17:00

Papasot wrote:
22. Dec 2021, 13:42
Seriously, why all this nonsense?
That's my question ...


“First of all, Xfce is NOT broken. Every single distribution I tried that comes with Xfce 4.14 as default works GREAT [...]”

If you could understand the language ... try reading Wittgenstein ... Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus deals with that.

Language and 'the way of thinking' issue: "it is broken" and "it is working" DO NOT EXCLUDE each other! (!!!)

Qualification: When examining what is working or not and how well, you need some basic understanding.


“It seems to me you used a distribution that doesn't come with Xfce preconfigured, and you just don't know how to configure it yourself, despite the fact it's pretty easy."

So, why do the 'distro-bakers' even build anything, if they are uncapable to properly configure it?

Those are the images from the DistroWatch Weekly, new distribution 'advertising':

https://distrowatch.com/images/ktyxqzob ... espire.png

https://distrowatch.com/images/ktyxqzob ... eavour.png

On their original screenshots 'advertisement', both of them are obviously broken.

Fluxbox 'masterly preconfigured' by some 'design barbarians':

https://ibb.co/HNRmVJL


“[...] if you think a distribution should not come with Xfce as default because "it is broken" then spend a few hours to configure a lightweight Openbox session, where you can pick the taskbar you like [...]”

Besides Gnome and KDE, I also have CDE, Cinnamon, Fluxbox, Fly, IceWM, JWM, LXDE, LXQt, Mate, Trinity, TWM, Window Maker, Xfce ...

Fluxbox, IceWM and JWM also in some very stylish, cheerful and colorful designs.

i3 and Openbox, of course, too.

https://ibb.co/v41dhmy

https://ibb.co/NpRbsYq


"You seem to like that bloated resource-devourer called KDE - well go for it. Linux is all about freedom.”

You seem to be the one who is unable to read the numbers or who can't preconfigure ...

https://ibb.co/wybLYRd

https://ibb.co/0KrfsdC

https://ibb.co/gJhdg64

Gnome-Shell, 'the hungriest DE' is actually not all that much worse than the Xfce. You can't just read how much resources xfwm4 alone is using, but you need to add all those multiple 30 ~ 50 MB processes for the panels, icons and taskbar extensions -- gnome shell also does it 'all-in-one'. What needs a lot of RAM in Gnome is not a Gnome-Shell itself, it's the 'ZRAM', 'App-Store', 'Updater', 'Search' trackers and other sophisticated technology bits and pieces, which are completely missing in Xfce. 😉

“That's 2005, and it needs to stop.” (Dedoimedo)

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ... /zram.html


“Linux is all about freedom.”

Yup -- the diversity killed the Linux. 😉


“Third, my several-years-experience says "selfish" is FAR from describing pretty much anyone active in Salix forums.”

Since you are saying that in a direct response to my previous post, that even had a link with an explanation included ...
missTell wrote:
13. Dec 2021, 09:12

That wasn't about you in person, or anybody else on this forum in particular.

That was about the general state of Linux.


https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lin ... ction.html

https://blogs.gnome.org/christopherdavi ... llaborate/
Reading is more than merely recognizing the single characters and connecting them into the words and sentences ...

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthre ... ing-Issues



Happy Christmas!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)

User avatar
missTell
Posts: 86
Joined: 19. Apr 2018, 06:45

Re: Slackware 15

Post by missTell » 22. Dec 2021, 17:40

Papasot wrote:
22. Dec 2021, 13:42

Seriously, why all this nonsense?

First of all, Xfce is NOT broken. [...] It seems to me you used a distribution that doesn't come with Xfce preconfigured, and you just don't know how to configure it yourself, despite the fact it's pretty easy. Now, 4.16 is the latest stable release, and all the evidence I have says Slackware 15 will come with it, plus other rolling distributions will probably switch from 4.14 to 4.16, eventually. I can easily bet 4.16 also works great.
That's how much your evidence, opinion and bets are worth ...

https://ibb.co/LpRWvYj

https://ibb.co/HzqdfHY

The icon should change the size, NOT the color. 😉

But that's what you get, if and when the people 'have no time' ...

This is how the taskbar scaling should work and how it should approximately look like.

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/attachme ... 1639743577

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/attachme ... 1639743595

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/attachme ... 1639743621
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)

User avatar
missTell
Posts: 86
Joined: 19. Apr 2018, 06:45

Re: Slackware 15

Post by missTell » 22. Dec 2021, 20:46

Papasot wrote:
22. Dec 2021, 13:42

[...] that bloated resource-devourer called KDE [...]
Could you please define "bloated resource-devourer" first?

KDE Plasma on my ThinkPad T-420 typewriter:

https://ibb.co/JykphWJ

https://ibb.co/R7wwVr5

KDE Plasma vs. Xfce in VirtualBox:

https://ibb.co/hCwkzPN

https://ibb.co/4gByJx1

https://ibb.co/3mJw4zV

https://ibb.co/kybg3pZ

Now, to be fair, one also has to say that all OS except Slackware, are ready to use.

All OS have updater, Bluetooth and such active, only Slackware has absolutely no any crucial services running ... 😉
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain)

User avatar
Papasot
Donor
Posts: 147
Joined: 3. May 2015, 18:37
Location: Patras, Greece

Re: Slackware 15

Post by Papasot » 24. Dec 2021, 17:27

It seems to me a "new kid in town" just loves spamming, and any response is a huge mistake, because it just makes him spamming even more. Well, I will not feed the spamming beast anymore. Merry Christmas.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)

User avatar
mimosa
Salix Warrior
Posts: 3223
Joined: 25. May 2010, 17:02
Contact:

Re: Slackware 15

Post by mimosa » 29. Dec 2021, 09:06

I installed it several months ago, and it's working well.

Here's a silly question: what should I do about package management? I haven't updated anything since then, and I'm not sure how :mrgreen:

User avatar
laprjns
Salix Warrior
Posts: 1077
Joined: 28. Aug 2009, 01:30
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: Slackware 15

Post by laprjns » 29. Dec 2021, 11:43

mimosa wrote:
29. Dec 2021, 09:06
Here's a silly question: what should I do about package management? I haven't updated anything since then, and I'm not sure how :mrgreen:
Lol, I'm in the same boat! :oops:
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"

Post Reply