Slackware 15

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Slackware 15

Post by gapan »

You mean slackware current?

A combination of:

Code: Select all

slackpkg update
slackpkg upgrade-all
slackpkg install-new
should do. However, be careful with upgrading the kernel. The kernel-generic package is used by default and you will need an initrd. Run

/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh -k <yournewkernelversion>
to see what is the minimal initrd you should use. And don't forget to copy both /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd.gz to /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware in case of UEFI, or run lilo otherwise.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

gapan wrote: 30. Dec 2021, 00:37 You mean slackware current?

A combination of:

slackpkg update
slackpkg upgrade-all
slackpkg install-new
should do. However, be careful with upgrading the kernel. The kernel-generic package is used by default and you will need an initrd. Run

/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh -k <yournewkernelversion>
to see what is the minimal initrd you should use. And don't forget to copy both /boot/vmlinuz and /boot/initrd.gz to /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware in case of UEFI, or run lilo otherwise.
BTW, manually grabbing and installing slapt-get and spkg from our 15.0 repos should also work if you want something more familiar.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks gapan ... I think I may just have broken my system though! slackpkg asked me to uncomment a mirror, but there is no "Slackware 15" there ... so I edited it to slackware64-current, and now it seems to be replacing every single package with another version!

EDIT I realised I could just interrupt it while it was downloading the packages, having as yet not installed them. And so I installed spkg and slapt-get.

One question though - should I comment out the Salix repositories from the sources in slapt-getrc? That's what I have done for the time being.

Kernel packages are excluded of course, can I just install the huge kernel manually and forget about the initrd?
EricC

Post by EricC »

So as of now, Pat is thinking the 17th of January as the theoretical release date for v15 provided nothing serious pops up.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost6310775
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote: 30. Dec 2021, 11:56 One question though - should I comment out the Salix repositories from the sources in slapt-getrc? That's what I have done for the time being.
You can enable them. There is no extra-15.0 repo yet (and not sure if there will ever be), so you can keep that out, at least for now. Also, make sure you stick with the sysvinit-scripts package that comes from slackware for the time being. I need to fix ours...

mimosa wrote: 30. Dec 2021, 11:56 Kernel packages are excluded of course, can I just install the huge kernel manually and forget about the initrd?
Yes.
EricC wrote: 30. Dec 2021, 16:43 So as of now, Pat is thinking the 17th of January as the theoretical release date for v15 provided nothing serious pops up.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost6310775
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

gapan wrote: 31. Dec 2021, 00:27 make sure you stick with the sysvinit-scripts package that comes from slackware for the time being. I need to fix ours...
I added it to excluded packages for now.

Thanks gapan, all is now up to date and working properly!

I also edited elilo.conf to stop it looking for the initrd, when I upgraded the kernel.

I look forward to the Salix alien DNA gradually infiltrating my Slack.
EricC

Post by EricC »

Getting closer. Officially in the RC3 stage.

http://www.slackware.com/changelog/curr ... cpu=x86_64
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

I think MissTell's 'spamming' was interesting enough, although Xfce is fine for me even if somewhat '2005' as Dedoimedo puts it
(author and indefatigable/very critical distro reviewer, many links at Distrowatch.com).
One thing I find a total must now is the Panel Layout Switcher, originally developed by Linux Mint, now found in several, like ALT Linux, Xubuntu.
With this software you can switch to the layout of several distros in 2 seconds, I prefer that of a recent OpenSuse version.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

coyotl wrote: 15. Jan 2022, 20:40 I think MissTell's 'spamming' was interesting enough, although Xfce is fine for me even if somewhat '2005' as Dedoimedo puts it
(author and indefatigable/very critical distro reviewer, many links at Distrowatch.com).
Personally, I don't mind "2005" at all. I find that user interfaces peaked at that point, maybe a few years earlier even. After that point, designers got into dictating how software should look and function and usability went downhill. But look how shiny it is! :roll:

coyotl wrote: 15. Jan 2022, 20:40 One thing I find a total must now is the Panel Layout Switcher, originally developed by Linux Mint, now found in several, like ALT Linux, Xubuntu.
With this software you can switch to the layout of several distros in 2 seconds, I prefer that of a recent OpenSuse version.
That's already included in the xfce that will be in 15.0.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I have always been very happy with Salix defaults.