Salix sur second disque dur?

French Forum
seba

Salix sur second disque dur?

Post by seba »

Bonjour à tous!

J'essaye d'installer Salix OS sur un second disque dur. Le premier contient OpenBSD.

Mon problème est le suivant:

Lors de l'installation, à l'étape d'installation de LILO, je tente d'éditer lilo.conf de crainte qu'en choisissant la méthode automatique il ne m'écrase le MBR de mon premier disque.

J'ai donc choisi la méthode 'superblock' (et j'ai bien mis la première partition de mon second disque qui va accueillir Salix en 'boot' durant le partitionnement), ensuite j'ajoute une partition Linux à lilo.conf comme proposé dans le menu en lui indiquant bien /dev/sdb1 comme partition à utiliser).

Au démarrage (en choisissant mon second disque dans le menu du BIOS), l'écran reste noir et ne m'affiche pas de LILO du tout.

Ma question est: est-il possible de choisir durant l'installation sur quel disque LILO sera installé (en choisissant, par exemple, la méthode MBR plutôt que superblock)?

Merci d'avance et bravo pour votre travail (et vos choix de paquets)!
Je ne voudrais pas écraser le MBR de mon premier disque.
Ralvex

Re: Salix sur second disque dur?

Post by Ralvex »

Slt,

Je ne suis pas un expert de lilo, mais j'aurais installer SalixOS SANS lilo et j'aurais ensuite configuré le lilo de ton systeme principal pour "pointer" sur Salix.
Ce thread peut certainement t'aider ( en l'adaptant a *BSD):
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4448.

En esperant t'avoir un peu aiguillé...
Desktop: Dell Dimension E521 / SalixBang64-14.0 / athlon64 3800+ / 2Go ddr2 / 32Go SSD + 250Go HD / Geforce 210
Server: Dell Dimension E521 / Salix64-14.0 / athlon64 3800+ / 1Go ddr2 / 80Go + 500Go HD
shanek54
Donor

Post by shanek54 »

Hi,
I am using google translate, as I do not speak French, but I think I understand your question.

On /dev/sda1 you have your default Salix/linux setup
On /dev/sdb1 you have your second Salix/linux setup

To boot either, add the following paragraph to the bottom of your /etc/lilo.conf on /dev/sda1

other=/dev/sdb1
label="Linux-on-sdb1"

Ensure you have a lilo menu configured (it is the default on Salix)

Save the changes then run /sbin/lilo (as root)

If you get no errors, then reboot and you will have a choice offered by lilo.
Choose the second one and you should get another lilo menu.
Press return to select the highlighted choice.
You should now be running the Linux system on /dev/sdb1

I hope this helps, and that i understood your situation and question correctly.

Good luck,
Shane
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

This user has BSD on one disk and wants to put Salix on the other. Ralvex recommended not installing lilo during the Salix installation, and making the existing bootloader used in BSD point at Salix as an option. I agree.

The thread linked to above is in French too, but I think there is a similar one somewhere on the forum in English, about how to make sure Lilo works correctly when different kernels are involved, as is probaby the case here. "Nesting" bootloaders would certainly be another way, but I can imagine coming to find such a setup annoying after twenty boots. Maybe I don't understand how it would actually work, though. Would you see a second Lilo menu if you selected the Linux on sdb?
shanek54
Donor

Post by shanek54 »

Hi mimosa,
Yes, you would see the lilo menu if you left the menu on (as per the default), but simply tell lilo to boot into the default immediately and the effect is as if there is a slightly longer boot sequence.
I use this method on a laptop with 7 partitions on it - the first is nothing more than a maintenance partition where I add and remove lilo stanzas and wipe partitions etc - all the installed OS have lilo on the superblock of the partition they are installed on, with the lilo menus turned off - IIRC, I have even booted into distros that use grub...
As to the original poster, sorry if I just confused the issue, and please let us know if you get the BSD boot manager to boot Linux on a second disk, as that could be of some use to me.

Regards,
Shane
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That's an interesting approach, and probably easier to set up for a complex multiboot. If the OP returns with news, I'll certainly let you know :)