Some new entries in wiki

Shador

Re: Some new entries in wiki

Post by Shador »

thenktor wrote:
BTW: E-mail providers may block mails sent by a home IP. I'd recommend to use email.
It's possible to configure postfix in a way, so that all email is sent over a smtp account, i.e. it works the same way email does. Therefor I guess the same works for sendmail too.
Nevertheless email is probably still easier to set up when only very few features are needed.

As far as I know a properly configured mailserver with proper reverse dns etc. should not be blocked either.
Shador

Post by Shador »

witek wrote:Another one, this time I extended an existing entry for LILO:
LILO bootloader - fix, configure and customize
Could you please look into this for essential errors.
I only did some minor changes most of which where stylistic. I also replaced "redirecting to another bootloader" with "chainloadng another bootloader" as that is the correct expression, although this might make me a nitpicker.
I recommend you have another look yourself and add more precise instructions as to where to add the configuration lines. I did this as an example for "Lilo is loading slowly".
witek

Post by witek »

Shador wrote:although this might make me a nitpicker.
Language and/or substantial nitpicking is always welcome. I`m a nitpicker myself :-)
As some of us are not English native speakers a proof-reader is in fact a must.

Regarding the information about reading the LILO password: What about the case when partition is encrypted? Does anybody know?
Shador

Post by Shador »

witek wrote:Regarding the information about reading the LILO password: What about the case when partition is encrypted? Does anybody know?
I'm not sure what you mean. To my knowledge the password is stored with a one-way hash, so it shouldn't be straightforward to regain the plain text password or almost impossible with a good one-way hashing procedure.
Of course that only applies if the password isn't stored in the lilo.conf file.
witek

Post by witek »

You have added this text (here with my modifications already):

Important: This doesn't prevent a person who really wants to bypass this limitation from doing so. Such a person can still change data (e.g. root password or LILO password) by booting from another media (e.g. Salix LiveCD) unless BIOS booting sequence doesn`t allow it or by attaching the hard drive to another computer if he has physical access to it. (TO CLARIFY HERE: What about the case when partition is encrypted?)

I mean: there is a possibilty to encrypt a partition. If so, even if you can attach the drive to another computer you cannot read data from it and change LILO password (unless its hash is in MBR and is easy to revert to text)
Shador

Post by Shador »

witek wrote: I mean: there is a possibilty to encrypt a partition. If so, even if you can attach the drive to another computer you cannot read data from it and change LILO password (unless its hash is in MBR and is easy to revert to text)
Yes, you cannot read data from the disk if it is encrypted and you also can't revert the password to plain text given it's a relatively good one-way hash. But I think it should be relatively easy to replace the password in the MBR or install one's own bootloader overwriting LILO. But with hard drive encryption that should be a fairly decent problem as nobody can access the encrypted data.

One possible attack might be to replace the bootloader in a way the user won't notice that modification. Like that one could steal encrypted data or even the passphrase.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Shador wrote:Nevertheless email is probably still easier to set up when only very few features are needed.
That's for sure ;) For some notification mails email really is enough.
Shador wrote:As far as I know a properly configured mailserver with proper reverse dns etc. should not be blocked either.
Is it possible with dynamic home IP?
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Shador

Post by Shador »

thenktor wrote:
Shador wrote:As far as I know a properly configured mailserver with proper reverse dns etc. should not be blocked either.
Is it possible with dynamic home IP?
Possibly, but I never tried, so I don't know how to possibly achieve it.
witek

Post by witek »

I`ve just added this topic:
Access X applications remotely.
If somebody could look into this to judge a case on its merits and correct the language that would be nice.
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

I updated the How to Install ATI Driver article I wrote last year :P