Salix Start up Guide 13.1.2 [DONE]

tsuren

Salix Start up Guide 13.1.2 [DONE]

Post by tsuren »

Dear Salix users,

We have seen a lot of changes in Salix since 13.1.1 and to reflect this fact, I am currently preparing the Salix Start up guide 13.1.2. It is an on-going process, and I have just finished the first draft. Apart from obvious typos and grammatically mistakes, I would like to gather your suggestions and ideas to improve the quality of the doc to the next level!

What I am particularly interested in is to add a section to answer questions that are often asked by new users of Salix and Linux in general, as one of the most important points in writing this start up guide is to remove some stumbling stones away from those users.

Once prepared, the future Salix 13.2 start up guide will adopt the new format.

Best wishes

tsuren

EDIT: The final version can be found here.
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
laplume
Donor

Re: Salix Start up Guide 13.1.2 - 13.2

Post by laplume »

Excellent work tsuren,

That's a superb overlook of the system and its functionalities. Maybe I have missed it but I have not seen a topic specifically mentioning system upgrades. Should it be added somewhere? Also, would the Guide be available in Transifex for translation?

Regards,
Antonio
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

About translation, we're not usre how to do it technically. We encountered a number of difficulties with the previous system even if it is working. So the translation will of course be possible, perhaps through transifex, but not for soon.
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

Hello JRD,

Thanks for info. We'll wait and see what comes up in the future.

A la prochaine.

Antonio
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

laplume wrote: Maybe I have missed it but I have not seen a topic specifically mentioning system upgrades. Should it be added somewhere?
noted. i will add it. thanks for the comment!
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

tsuren,
Thank you for your work on the this. I think that it is very informative and looks great. I'll be reading through it over the next few days and providing my feedback as I come across things. Here's my first few comments:

Page Format - I really like the layout but it seem to me that on every page the first line of text is jammed up against the header. I think adding a little white space between the header and text will result in a better visual balance of the page.

Paragraph Numbering - On the major paragraph titles (i.e 1.Salix OS at a Glance), I would suggest either to add the trailing 0 (1.0) or drop the decimal point. Also adding a space between the number and header would separate the number and title.

Package Management "With Installpkg & rmeovepkg" - I thought that the recommended command line method was to use "spkg". I think it should be at least added as an alternative.

That's it for now. Again thank for this document and your effort on putting it together.
Regards
Rich
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

laprjns wrote: Page Format - I really like the layout but it seem to me that on every page the first line of text is jammed up against the header. I think adding a little white space between the header and text will result in a better visual balance of the page.
I will take care of this.
laprjns wrote: Paragraph Numbering - On the major paragraph titles (i.e 1.Salix OS at a Glance), I would suggest either to add the trailing 0 (1.0) or drop the decimal point. Also adding a space between the number and header would separate the number and title.
points taken, though I am still not entirely sure about the final design of the paragraph numbering. i played around with it for some time, but never got something i liked.
laprjns wrote: Package Management "With Installpkg & rmeovepkg" - I thought that the recommended command line method was to use "spkg". I think it should be at least added as an alternative.
:) never used spkg... i will add it as an option. i did not know that is a recommended method of installing a package. for me, installpkg and removepkg are the easiest to remember, and you can also use it without passing a command parameter.

thanks for your comments!
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

Draft version 2 is up. The OP modified.

Change log
1. added how to upgrade (well, a link to the wiki article, essentially)
2. numbering - tried to improve, and spacing between the headers and the texts
3. some typos
4. spkg now replaced installpkg etc
5. deleted glub2/usb reboot once tilalala
6. where to find salix codec installer mentioned now
7. added a section on CLI (a short walkthrough)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

A very good job tsuren! :geek:

Some things I noticed:
* Page 4: typo "minumu" instead of "minimum"
* It's "Salix Codecs Installer", not "Salix Codec Installer"
* Page 19: it's "ncurses", not "ncurse"
* Mentioning the salix manpage somewhere would be nice.
* Is the VoIP line needed in the table in page 36?
* I agree with laprjns that the text seems too close to the header
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

gapan wrote: * Page 4: typo "minumu" instead of "minimum"
* It's "Salix Codecs Installer", not "Salix Codec Installer"
* Page 19: it's "ncurses", not "ncurse"
* Mentioning the salix manpage somewhere would be nice.
* Is the VoIP line needed in the table in page 36?
* I agree with laprjns that the text seems too close to the header
Noted. Thanks for the comments! in the draft version 2, i tried to improve the spacing between the header and the main text. i think it looks better, well, i can still put more space if needed. just need to move around the pics again in this case.