Ctrl + Alt + bksp alternative

shad91

Re: Ctrl + Alt + bksp alternative

Post by shad91 »

Well, as I said, some people as just incredibly stupid.
also remember the quote topic from the IRC #Salix

Idiot's and level...
stuckinoregon

Post by stuckinoregon »

Mistakes only prove that you're human. To me what would be telling is if it took a long time to correct the errors once they're brought to your attention. I certainly don't see that happening.

Tell the whinger: AFTOS POU PIDAI POLA PALOUKIA THA TOU HOTHI KAI ENA STO KOLO

Sorry, couldn't resist. :oops:
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Well what matters is what is being said more than who said it & as a matter of fact, ctrl/alt/backspace does not work in Salix or in Slackware 13.0 either, period!

Maybe that 'lesson giver' doesn't even use Slackware, or else an older version & he doesn't know much about Slackware 13.0 yet? :?
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

shad91 wrote:also remember the quote topic from the IRC #Salix

Idiot's and level...
Oh, how right you are! Applies perfectly here!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
stuckinoregon wrote:Tell the whinger: AFTOS POU PIDAI POLA PALOUKIA THA TOU HOTHI KAI ENA STO KOLO
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm completely surprised! I bet you didn't learn that in Oregon. :D :D :D :D
Akuna wrote:Well what matters is what is being said more than who said it & as a matter of fact, ctrl/alt/backspace does not work in Salix or in Slackware 13.0 either, period!
To be completely accurate, ctrl-alt-backspace does not work by default in recent xorg versions. That includes the slackware xorg and of course the salix xorg since they are both one and the same. However slackware, has set a custom setting in a hal configuration file that changes that default behavior so that ctrl-alt-backspace can be used in a stock slackware installation. We actually don't include the same custom setting because we're using the same hal configuration file to edit our keyboard configuration options during salix installation.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

gapan wrote:To be completely accurate, ctrl-alt-backspace does not work by default in recent xorg versions. That includes the slackware xorg and of course the salix xorg since they are both one and the same. However slackware, has set a custom setting in a hal configuration file that changes that default behavior so that ctrl-alt-backspace can be used in a stock slackware installation. We actually don't include the same custom setting because we're using the same hal configuration file to edit our keyboard configuration options during salix installation.
Oops... I stand corrected & I fall into that category of untrustworthy folks he objected too. :lol:

But thankfully, you definitely are not! ;)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

I've been thinking more about this & I feel I owe an apology to the 'lesson giver' who actually did teach me something. :)

In his own words, he "didn't trust Salix developers because they don't even know how Slackware works." Evidently, when someone says he doesn't trust you, you tend to get irate immediately, but truth is, I too wouldn't trust someone who doesn't use Salix daily on a his production system either. Now, I may respect him as a person, & appreciate many of his qualities, but I wouldn't trust him much when it comes to Salix, since he doesn't use it on a daily basis. Nothing personal or mean here.

So this man has a point. I used Slackware extensively only for a few months this year while we initially worked on Salix-13.00 (It was Slackware current at the time & I'm pretty sure Ctrl + Alt + bksp didn't work back then... 8-) ) But before that I used Zenwalk & before that I used Vector Linux... All Slackware based, but quite deviant in some ways & as a result I do not know truly how a pure Slackware system works on a daily basis. Close but not quite! At least as far as I am concerned I'm guilty as charged.

However when it comes to our dedication to Slackware & giving back to Slackware, this man could certainly trust us. In the initial days of Salix, this debate came about & it was decided early own that we would stick very close to Slackware, that we would be completely compatible with it & therefore be useful to the Slackware community. The only thing we wanted to add was missing packages & dependencies + missing system utilities + a well integrated XFCE environment.

Maybe a couple more things could be done to ensure that we do not deviate from this profession of faith:
1- Open a section on the Wiki, further dedicated to the topic of Slackware/Salix compatibility/likes/divergence issues where for example you would find the incriminated " Ctrl + Alt + bksp" article, a list of the packages which are differently customized for Salix or for Slackware and why: hal, lilo, pkgtools, xfce.... & other such pertinent material.
2- Since most members of our actual team originated from Zenwalk, we could greatly benefit from having new member(s) joining us from a 'true' Slackware background while sharing our objectives. This is a call, if you feel you are that person, please contact us. :)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Akuna wrote:1- Open a section on the Wiki, further dedicated to the topic of Slackware/Salix compatibility/likes/divergence issues where for example you would find the incriminated " Ctrl + Alt + bksp" article, a list of the packages which are differently customized for Salix or for Slackware and why: hal, lilo, pkgtools, xfce.... & other such pertinent material.
Good idea and I've started it here: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/P ... _Slackware
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I believe that I have found a fix to this. In /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi replace this line:

Code: Select all

<merge key="input.xkb.options" type="string"></merge
with this

Code: Select all

<merge key="input.xkb.options" type="string">terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp</merge>
Seems to work on my laptop.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"