How to: Installing plex media server on Salix

cavit8

How to: Installing plex media server on Salix

Post by cavit8 »

Following the instructions [transcribed below in case the link dies] here:http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-pre ... he-roku-3/

and opening port 32400 in iptables as

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 32400 -j ACCEPT

I've got Plex Media Server installed and it's talking to my Roku 3. Transcoding seems to engage even for compatible Roku 3 media (mkv, mp4) and tends to crash the server, but using the Roku Plex channel option to do direct play works perfectly in most cases for compatible file types. MP3 audio plays with no difficulty. I'm playing around with remuxing some movie audio that appears to fail but its a Roku issue in all likelihood.

--------------
linked content: credit to original poster trxdraxon

got Plex media server up and running smoothly on my Slackware box and thought I would share my experience. It is pretty easy to get running but there is little to no documentation for Slackware as it is not officially supported.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the package is 32bit so you will need multilib installed.

First install the uNRAID package. Once it's installed there is a settings.ini in /boot/config/plugins/plexmediaserver that you should edit. You can edit the default directories for the Plex temp directory and the Plex library for metadata. It defaults to /tmp and can get quite large so I would recommend changing it. My media collection is around 700gigs which makes around 2gigs of metadata.

Now you need to edit the /usr/local/plexmediaserver/start.sh
from this

Code:

#!/bin/sh
SCRIPT=$(readlink -f $0)
SCRIPTPATH=`dirname ${SCRIPT}`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${SCRIPTPATH}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
ulimit -s 3000
./Plex\ Media\ Server

To this
Code:

#!/bin/sh
SCRIPT=$(readlink -f $0)
SCRIPTPATH=`dirname ${SCRIPT}`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${SCRIPTPATH}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
ulimit -s 3000
$SCRIPTPATH/Plex\ Media\ Server

This allows you to start the script from any directory.

To start the server you need to run

Code:

/etc/rc.d/rc.plexmediaserver start

and
Code:

sh /usr/local/plexmediaserver/start.sh &

You can obviously autostart these but I start them manually because I rarely reboot my desktop and I don't leave Plex running if I am at my computer.

Now open up your web browser and go to http://localhost:32400/manage/index.html and add your media libraries and you are done.