Liveclone for testing

Akuna
Salix Wizard

Liveclone for testing

Post by Akuna »

LiveClone - A simple utility to clone Live systems from the comfort of a graphical interface. It greatly simplifies the creation of LiveCDs or LiveUSBs based on SalixLive.

For example, you can boot into Salix Live, add or remove some users, add or remove some packages, change your wallpaper, your desktop & do any other customization you fancy. Then you can launch LiveClone, & with the help of a mere couple clicks generate your own LiveCD or Live USB key that will perfectly clone the modified live environment you just customized.

Unless you simply want to clone a vanilla Salix Live CD to a Live USB key? that is possible too, the choice is yours.

This release is still quite experimental but should be mostly functional nonetheless. It is only compatible with Salix Live 13.1 (test release) & will not work out of previous Salix Live versions or out of a non-live installed standard Salix system (yet!)

EDIT 01/09/2010:
LiveClone is now included in all SalixLive version, starting with Salix Live 13.1 LXDE & XFCE beta versions

Thanks for your feedback, suggestions & bug reports.

What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
joeham

Re: Liveclone for testing

Post by joeham »

This works well on the live LXDE version. I customized the live version using persistence. Then cloned it to fat32 usb stick. I fiddled the syslinux.cfg to get it to boot on my hp 1010nr et voila it booted and worked like a champ.

I then took the files from the USB and put them on an SD card and boot with extlinux.

Salix and Slackware -- great stuff!, Thanks
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Good to hear. Thanks for the kind words :)

BTW, Salix Live installer is now fully compatible with LiveClone, which means you can now generate a LiveCD with personalized tweaks, language add-on, etc... & use it to deploy your very own mini-distro at your friends, neighbors, family members, schools etc... with all the tweaking done only once in the installation LiveCD instead of each time after each installation.

Future functionalities will include extlinux, choice of file system formatting and execution from an installed regular Slackware / Salix system.
tim.strup

Post by tim.strup »

Akuna wrote:LiveClone ... It is only compatible with Salix Live 13.1... & will not work out of previous Salix Live versions or out of a non-live installed standard Salix system ....
Super! This is really great and easy. And it works! Fast, with the new LiveCD SalixOS then finds no network more. I still practice.

But I read this:"LiveClone simplifies the creation of LiveCDs or LiveUSBs based on SalixLive or Salix standard running environment. All this from the comfort of a graphical interface."

Is it possible to clone and its installation?

Google Translator from:
Super! Das ist wirklich toll und einfach. Und es funktioniert! Fast, mit der neuen LiveCD findet SalixOS dann keine Netzwerkkarte mehr. Ich übe noch.

Allerdings habe ich das gelesen: "LiveClone simplifies the creation of LiveCDs or LiveUSBs based on SalixLive or Salix standard running environment. All this from the comfort of a graphical interface."

Ist es möglich seine Installation auch zu clonen
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

tim.strup wrote:Is it possible to clone and its installation?
Do you mean: Is it possible to clone a standard installed system?
Yes, but this functionality is not activated yet.
It will be in a not so distant future... ;)
Shador

Post by Shador »

Yes, that's what he means. Somehow "too"/"also" got translated by "and". :)