Salix Live LXDE 13.1 Beta1 available

christian

Salix Live LXDE 13.1 Beta1 available

Post by christian »

Hi Salix users!

The first beta release of Salix Live LXDE is available. It includes the same collection of software as the standard LXDE version and it features LiveClone, which allows you to create a customized version of the live CD. You will also find Salix Live Installer which allows you to install Salix LXDE on your computer. The LXDE version of Salix Live is 32 bit only.

This is still a beta release, so there may be bugs and other issues and there is still some work todo, like a chapter for LXDE in the Startup Guide. The packages are at the state of 28th August, so the latest Xorg fixes and a new midori version are included.

You can download it from the following link:
ISO: ftp://ftp.lupinix.org/linux/salix/13.1/ ... _beta1.iso
MD5: ftp://ftp.lupinix.org/linux/salix/13.1/ ... a1.iso.md5

Changelog since the last development version (http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1149):
-Added LiveClone
-Updated (translations of) Startup Guide
-Moved salixtools-gtk from full to basic
-Removed duplicated ndiswrapper package
-Removed *-kde.desktop files from 'one' s home directory (OnlyShowIn=KDE not recognized by LXDE)
-Salix Live Installer - Upgraded to revision 1503
-Packages of state of 28th August (see below for details)

Upgraded packages:
Salix Live Installer - Upgraded to revision 1503
midori - Upgraded to 0.2.7
slapt-get - Updated
pidgin - Upgraded to 2.7.3
xorg-server - Updated to pkg release 2_slack13.1
xorg-server-* Updated (see above)

Greetings
Christian
zAchAry

Re: Salix Live LXDE 13.1 Beta1 available

Post by zAchAry »

#1 Clicking on the .desktop "Salix Startup Guide" icon
.desktop > Midori > Dialog > choose Open > ePDFViewer

#2 Clickable hyperlinks < http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1186 >
a. Geany, Whaaw!, Brasero, Gnumeric, PCManFM are working well.
b. Abiword, Leafpad, Wicd will return.
Could not show link

Operation not supported
c. lxterminal, ePDFView will return nothing.
*. I did not checked all the applications, I just want to be sure that it is not "just me" and I'm not imagining anything (and I'm not paranoid!) :P
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
wayne

Post by wayne »

I did a quick test on old laptop:

1. start up slow, but complete ok
2. then i click wicd and set password to get internet, ok
3. then click install codec for testing my movie/youtube file: ok
4. click Salix Startup, lead to browser, home page loaded ok,
pop up "Open or download file"
4.1 now i click Save As and use default to save as SalixStartupGuide-en.pdf , click save, ok file saved.
now when i click it on desktop trying to open the file,it showed Encrypted Document, and i do not know what is the password so i cannot open the file. This might be confusing to new user.
4.2 click open file, ok it open so i can read the Start up guide
4.3, if now i click save as on the open file from step 4.2, it saved, then when i open it , it is alright to view by ePDFViewer.
5. click Salix IRC support : ok lead to chat room. but some
6. click gparted, ok, application started.
7, plug in USB drive, click file manager, ok USB disk is mounted and can browse files, can play multi media files of various types since i have installed codec on step 3.
8, play youtube, oh nice, flash player installed so flash just played.
9, try pidgin with MSN, key in account and password, ok, linked to MSN for chatting.

note:
i still prefer to include network file sharing on Live CD such as gigolo or other equivalent.
ii am used to have network file sharing.
Some distros had a lot of difficulty getting network sharing working, some very slow ( took many minutes to search network)
a few standard distro made file sharing very simple and i like them, save a lot of setting up job.

i also prefer grub boot loader than Lilo, i had too many failures using Lilo for whatever reason.
On Salix 13.1 i have a few time installed and fail to boot.
another slackware distro using Lilo also gave me same problem.
I rescue it by dual boot using another distro using grub2 found it and get in to boot menu ( because i have not learnt how to get Lilo work yet, while i learned a bit on grub and more familiar with changing on /boot/grub/menu.lst

i like the LiveClone, but have not tested it yet.

:)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

wayne wrote:4.1 now i click Save As and use default to save as SalixStartupGuide-en.pdf , click save, ok file saved.
now when i click it on desktop trying to open the file,it showed Encrypted Document, and i do not know what is the password so i cannot open the file. This might be confusing to new user.
Most probably a case of a bad download of the pdf file.