is it possible to save files to live-usbkey ?

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: is it possible to save files to live-usbkey ?

Post by mimosa »

I've just done a fresh install of 13.1, and selected SCIM enabled as default during the (non-live) install. I've been having trouble, particularly with Firefox - here's a sample of its behaviour on opening a dialogue box:

Code: Select all

tim[~]$ firefox
Failed to receive messages at scim_bridge_client_read_and_dispatch ()
An IOException at scim_bridge_client_change_focus ()
An IOException occurred at scim_bridge_client_imcontext_focus_out ()
Loading socket Config module ...
Creating backend ...
Loading x11 FrontEnd module ...
Failed to load x11 FrontEnd module.
Failed to receive messages at scim_bridge_client_read_and_dispatch ()
An IOException at scim_bridge_client_change_focus ()
An IOException occurred at scim_bridge_client_imcontext_focus_out ()
Loading socket Config module ...
Creating backend ...
Loading x11 FrontEnd module ...
Failed to load x11 FrontEnd module.
The install is fully updated, and should therefore be identical to the 13.1 I have on another machine, which is not giving any trouble. It's not just Firefox - everything has a tendency to crash unpredictably.

This is nothing to do with the Live CD, let alone persistence, but I think some of the trouble Seq_Res has been having, mentioned earlier in this thread, could actually be SCIM-related. Everything is also really slow, particularly just after login. Some programs simply don't open then.

I'm not concerned to fix this on my own machine - I'll have to put it to another use shortly, and anyway, I expect one can just turn off SCIM - but hope the report may be of interest.

For users of certain languages, a tool like SCIM is invaluable, but I suspect it has quite a large footprint.
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

hi, monosa, I got SCIM to work now. I am still using LiveCD on a USB key. The way to let SCIM to function is,
1. settings > SCIM set up > change keyboard (default is 'unknown')
2. log out, then you get a new 'log in' screen, then change 'language' to yours
3. log in, and try it in openoffice-writer; SCIM works very well.
I think Salix needs more improvements, because it crashes too often.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Seq_Res wrote:I think Salix needs more improvements, because it crashes too often.
What does that mean exactly? What crashes? When? Sorry to say that, but your comment is completely useless as it is.
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

gapan, sincerely say sorry to you if you feel offended. I like this distro and it keeps staying on
my usbkey, but I really experienced many corruptions. I managed to get it saving new data
into the same usbkey with liveclone, and found Firefox corrupts unpredictably (it is mazilla's fault i think);
In ooo impress, everytime i try to use slide-show, it freezes with the show-menu pending there (possibly
it is ooo's fault.). At those movements, I couldnt do anything but press the reset button.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Seq_Res wrote:gapan, sincerely say sorry to you if you feel offended. I like this distro and it keeps staying on
my usbkey, but I really experienced many corruptions. I managed to get it saving new data
into the same usbkey with liveclone, and found Firefox corrupts unpredictably (it is mazilla's fault i think);
In ooo impress, everytime i try to use slide-show, it freezes with the show-menu pending there (possibly
it is ooo's fault.). At those movements, I couldnt do anything but press the reset button.
If anything, that sounds like you're having serious hardware problems.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Or defective squashfs modules if live system? Any useful error system in logs or otherwise? Launching the problematic apps from a terminal might spew something.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

It is possibly because of hardware failure. Now I give up the livecloned system and only use .iso that is
written to a usbkey with dd. Without persistence, the system is much more stable. As a newbie I don't
know how to get the error logs. Thank you both.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

An error has silently slide on one script on the final CD. This is why persistence is not working.
The error:
  • file: /usr/sbin/create-slxsave-xfs
  • line: 17
  • change: from “mkfs.xfs slxsave.xfs” to “mkfs.xfs -f slxsave.xfs”
How to correct a badly created slxsave.xfs file?
just open any console and run

Code: Select all

mkfs.xfs -f pathToYourSlxsave.xfs
Sorry for this error and for not having found out before.
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

JRD ! good job ! I thought you gurus think I have bad usbkeys and no one would care about the bug.