is it possible to save files to live-usbkey ?

Seq_Res

is it possible to save files to live-usbkey ?

Post by Seq_Res »

I run live from a usb key of 4 gb. To my understanding, "persistence" means it is possible;
so I created a slxsave.xfs of 2 gb. The OS said it is successful; the .xfs can be found in
'media'. but I cannot find the saved file. The OS works like "always fresh" as in SLAX.
Can you give me some suggestion ? (sorry english is a foreign language for me)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: is it possible to save files to live-usbkey ?

Post by mimosa »

I've been having similar problems, except that I was trying to get persistence working before making a USB key. No answers I'm afraid - but I'm interested to hear it isn't just me! My first thought was that it could be a bad download or a bad burn, but I think I have excluded those possibilities, see my recent post on "problems with persistence".
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

mimosa,
i did it using liveclone.desktop.in instead of wizard. I cloned it to a FAT32-formatted boot-flagged 2 gb
usbkey (sdc1) from a running live (sdb1) with selections (grub, a persistence file of 1024 gb) . It took quite a long time ~ 15 min.
The clone works though its 1st booting failed. At least it saved the changed wallpaper, the firefox settings, and a downloaded big file. slxsave.xfs is loaded at boot automatically. Unfortunately some problems are annoying : firefox freezes too often (.xfs if too large i think) and some specified webpages can only be visited by zigzag-ways ( a problem i met in SLAX)
try it and find a way out.
this forum is really not so active.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

If the persistence works with Liveclone, but not with the persistence wizard, it might be a problem with the persistence wizard.

We'll check into it. Thanks for the report.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

But so far, it seems only two people have reported problems. Has anyone not had a problem?

My impression is that - if it is not because of something peculiar about my machines - the persistence wizard, which would be a great feature, (a) has a glitchy interface and (b) doesn't work. Has anyone out there had a better experience, or found a way to solve this?
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

Akuna, salix is impressing. I repeated and succeeded again; this time i use 512 mb for .xfs and
it did not crash so often. I even upgraded firefox. I think the wizard is not working, or you have to
set the .xfs at the beginning sections as the liveclone does, or sizes in wizard have to be set in n*128
mb ? just wondering.
one more questiong to Akuna: how to activate SCIM ? I choose to use English enviornment, but hope to
input Chinese characters. accessories>scim startup shows the configuration; but it is just a configuration;
I cannot find a way to activate the input function. pls give me some suggestions. thanks
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

openoffice > impress : cannot open .ppt (crash,reset)
edit a new one, saved in .odt, and .ppt then 'slide show' (both causes crash, resets)
something wrong with the system or impress ?

firefox works very well.

gagan said "Just a sidenote: it's not a good idea to use a journaling filesystem on flash drives. Journaling makes them wear off a lot faster than they would. You'd be better off by sticking with ext2." is it because of
my usbkey wore off ?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

mimosa wrote:But so far, it seems only two people have reported problems. Has anyone not had a problem?

My impression is that - if it is not because of something peculiar about my machines - the persistence wizard, which would be a great feature, (a) has a glitchy interface and (b) doesn't work. Has anyone out there had a better experience, or found a way to solve this?
I'll try to reproduce the problem ASAP. I'm sort of away ATM. I'll be back after the week-end.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Seq_Res wrote:how to activate SCIM ? I choose to use English enviornment, but hope to
input Chinese characters. accessories>scim startup shows the configuration; but it is just a configuration;
I cannot find a way to activate the input function. pls give me some suggestions. thanks
Did you first activate SCIM in Menu > System > Keyboard setup ?
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

akuna,
> "Did you first activate SCIM in Menu > System > Keyboard setup ?"

keyboard setup is us, and scim is enabled when system started. (no special kboard for CN)
scim config: trigger ctrl+space
icon is shown, but dont know how to make it to function