salixlive-kde-13.1.2RC1

djemos
Salix Warrior

salixlive-kde-13.1.2RC1

Post by djemos »

caitlyn

Re: salixlive-kde-13.1.2RC1

Post by caitlyn »

Is there a 64-bit version coming? I have no interest in running 32-bit distros on my 64-bit box.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

caitlyn wrote:Is there a 64-bit version coming? I have no interest in running 32-bit distros on my 64-bit box.
Cyrille [JRD] has resumed his work on the 64 bit live kernel, but it probably won't be ready in the near future.
However all our regular (non live) iso will be 64 bit soon, that is including LXDE & KDE as well (not only Xfce).
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

Akuna wrote:
caitlyn wrote:Is there a 64-bit version coming? I have no interest in running 32-bit distros on my 64-bit box.
Cyrille [JRD] has resumed his work on the 64 bit live kernel, but it probably won't be ready in the near future.
However all our regular (non live) iso will be 64 bit soon, that is including LXDE & KDE as well (not only Xfce).
Thanks for the update. Good news on the LXDE and KDE versions. I guess we'll just have to wait on Cyrille for the live 64-bit versions. I'm just glad someone is working on it.
wayne

Is salixlive-kde-13.1.2RC1 compatible with unetbootin?

Post by wayne »

I used unetbootin to prepare salix 13.1.1 on USB stick and it worked alright on computer.

Now, using the same USB stick and unetbootin to prepare salixlive-kde-13.1.2RC1.

Tested three computers, two desktop of 64-bit, one laptop of 32-bit.

1. ON laptop 32-bit, USB stick boot up but with message:
Xfce power manager
HAL daemon is not working
and the mouse is frozen so I cannot test further

also the screen showed different from kde desktop, it look more like lxde(??) or xfce(??)

2. On both 64-bit computer ( one AMD, another Intel i3)
Both showed kde desktop.
Both had mouse frozen.

My question is, is this iso compatible with unetbootin?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

None of the Salix Live 13.1 Iso are compatible with unetbootin.
It's well explained in the guide (last chapter).
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

late notes, djemos.

i downloaded the livecd (still the rc1) when it came up for testing. finally after the official release, i got time to test this. i will just report a small problem (perhaps just with my box) that during the boot up, the x did not start as it could not find the lib...x.so6 (or something like that. the "..." part is the part i don't remember well). It complained about an input/output error also - which is somehow related to the missing lib for x.

I do not believe that this is a common problem as i am running salix on mac mini (only the hardware,i mean... but the disk partition is somewhat special, and does not allow some file system). as a reference, i have always tested livecd (salix main - but not the lxde version) on the same machine, and never had a problem.

perhaps the problem has already been fixed in the release version, but as i wrote above, this is just a late "notes".

many thanks for your hardwork!
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

tsuren wrote:late notes, djemos.

i downloaded the livecd (still the rc1) when it came up for testing. finally after the official release, i got time to test this. i will just report a small problem (perhaps just with my box) that during the boot up, the x did not start as it could not find the lib...x.so6 (or something like that. the "..." part is the part i don't remember well). It complained about an input/output error also - which is somehow related to the missing lib for x.

I do not believe that this is a common problem as i am running salix on mac mini (only the hardware,i mean... but the disk partition is somewhat special, and does not allow some file system). as a reference, i have always tested livecd (salix main - but not the lxde version) on the same machine, and never had a problem.

perhaps the problem has already been fixed in the release version, but as i wrote above, this is just a late "notes".

many thanks for your hardwork!
salix kde is like other salixos editions. Core is the same, basic is the same except gtk apps so this problem has to exist with the other salix editions too. But if a lib is missing b/c of some gtk apps removed, i can add it. Maybe a xf86 lib has to add it? I did not notice any of this problem. Please report exactly the name of missing lib. So we can fix it in a next release.

Try the final kde iso and tell me if the problem still exists. Also run a md5sum -c salix-.....-iso to see if download was with errors.

Thanks for your good words
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Quite possibly a problem with a bad burn/download.