lxde live doesn't find usb device ?

Seq_Res

lxde live doesn't find usb device ?

Post by Seq_Res »

Today I downloaded lxde live, burned a CD, run it, everything seems okay. Then
using gslapt, I added 3 packages, codeblock, gimp, and ooo; Successful ! then
I tried to clone the running environment to my usb key, but find I cannot change
the path to my usb key, within clone.desktop.in ! actually, Pacman cannot find
usb device also, as if this distro does not support USB any more ! what's wrong ?
PS. USB key is listed in /dev but not /media.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: lxde live doesn't find usb device ?

Post by Akuna »

That is a strange behavior, everything is fine here.

Writing this from LXDE live CD. I plugged in 2 USB keys & I can see them in the file manager.

However you do have to click on them in the file manager so that they are mounted before LiveClone is executed as LiveClone only sees mounted USB keys.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

Akuna, did you try to add more packages and LiveClone them ?
It is really strange. I am sure it is not hardware failure. I have 2 usb keys; both not recognized.
also, gparted did not work. Reboot, everything became perfect again, but I lost those download
packages and times.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

You mean that when you rebooted then you could see your USB keys?
Very strange indeed.
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

Yes, it was, Akuna. I checked all the three added packages, worked well. I tried to mount device
in pacman but could not. (I did not tried to mount the usbkey in console).
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Seq_Res wrote:Yes, it was, Akuna. I checked all the three added packages, worked well.
I don't understand... were you able to successfully use LiveClone on your USB key & were these 3 packages incorporated in your new customized usb live key? is that what you mean? & if so, does that mean your problem is solved after all?
I tried to mount devicein pacman but could not. (I did not tried to mount the usbkey in console).
pacman? or rather pcmanfm? here it seems that it is not solved after all... :?

I don't know what to say. Here it works normally. I can see the usb keys on the left side of pcmanfm & a mere click on them causes them to be mounted so that afterward, when I fire liveclone, they properly show up on their mountpoint.

Did anyone else experiment usb device mounting problems in lxde live?
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

were you able to successfully use LiveClone on your USB key & were these 3 packages incorporated in your new customized usb live key?

>> Sorry, Akuna, I am not a native english speaker.
I run lxde CD to boot up, then, added those 3 packages, then, launched first GIMP and checked if it works,
it worked well, then closed it and launched CodeBlock, okay; then ooo.impress, okay. then I set up language,
etc.and launched LiveClone, but found I couldnt change "the path to your USB".
I plugged out and in the usbkeys several times, but icon didnt appear. PacMan File Manager didnt find it also.
Probably this is not the correct way to use LiveClone. I will try it later.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Seq_Res wrote: Sorry, Akuna, I am not a native english speaker.
No problem :)
I ask clarification just to make sure I understand what you say correctly
I run lxde CD to boot up, then, added those 3 packages, then, launched first GIMP and checked if it works,
it worked well, then closed it and launched CodeBlock, okay; then ooo.impress, okay. then I set up language,
etc.and launched LiveClone, but found I couldnt change "the path to your USB".
When you say you couldn't change it, do you mean that you couldn't browse the system by clicking on the path button in LiveClone, or that you could browse OK but that you couldn't locate your USB key?
I plugged out and in the usbkeys several times, but icon didnt appear.
That is normal behavior in LXDE (and also KDE), plugged devices icons do not show up on the desktop like they do with Xfce.
PacMan File Manager didnt find it also.
That is weird, normally it should show on the left panel of PCMan File Manager. and then when you click on it, it gets mounted & content shows on the right side. If that is not the case for you, then that is where your problem is. For some reason your USB key is not recognized by LXDE.
Probably this is not the correct way to use LiveClone. I will try it later.
No, the way you describe it is fine. The problem seems linked to your USB key.Could you try with another one?

You could also try to mount your USB key first after logging in LXDE, just in case some of your modifications caused that behavior (I doubt it but we never know)

To resume: the problem is not with LiveClone. All LiveClone is asking for is a mountpoint for your USB key, if your USB key is not mounted first, then LiveClone will not find it, this is normal behavior.

To fix your problem, you need to find a way to mount your USB key or why it does not work. I can't help you with that, because I could not reproduce that mounting problem. All the USB keys I tried worked well here with the procedure I described above.

Anyone else had a problem mounting USB keys in LXDE & PCManFM?
Seq_Res

Post by Seq_Res »

That is normal behavior in LXDE (and also KDE), plugged devices icons do not show up on the desktop like they do with Xfce.
You could also try to mount your USB key first after logging in LXDE,

>> possibly these are good ideas. I will try later.