LiveCD and HDD install

unist

LiveCD and HDD install

Post by unist »

When I downloaded LiveCD I noticed that its version number is slightly different (minor) than the ISO download just for install. If I install Salix XFCE using the LiveCD will I get the latest version?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: LiveCD and HDD install

Post by Akuna »

Not yet.But soon. The final version of the LiveCD should be ready sometimes before the end of the year with an eventual RC2 coming in the next few days

In the meanwhile you could use the RC1 version which is totally operational except for some minor bugs => http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2833
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
unist

Post by unist »

Thank you Akuna, I will wait for the new version by the end of this month. Meanwhile I will be using Salix XFCE Live 13.1.2.
My plan is to install Salix in my second HDD, as an alternative system.
It works very well with my AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 2562 MB RAM
Claire

Post by Claire »

I followed a "HowTo" for the Ubuntu flavor on creating a LiveCD/DVD from my local Linux installation here:

How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation - Ubuntu Forums

However, I cannot seem to find anything like this for OpenSUSE. Since OpenSUSE is quite a bit different than Ubuntu, I thought I should ask the gurus for help...you!

Why am I wanting to do this? Well, my work computer runs OpenSUSE with all kinds of different software packages installed. My configuration files (.toolrc, .cshrc, .vimrc etc etc) are stored on a network drive, so I am not worried about those. I AM however trying to backup my local install so that if (when) my HDD takes a dump it is somewhat easy to restore and I don't have to reinstall all of the .rpms.

I'd like to configure the "backup file" as a LiveCD ISO so that if my machine itself dies (its a pretty old box) I don't have to worry about ghosting the image back to a HDD connected to an identical system.

Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way, and using dd would be fine even if changing systems?

Thanks for helping the n00b, please be delicate in your response. I've been trolled many times on this forum and it's not fun.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Claire wrote: I've been trolled many times on this forum and it's not fun.
On this forum Really? Many times? But you only posted 3 times so far & no one but me answered you yet.
You must be a bit confused.
BTW, OpenSUSE LiveCD's real gurus would probably populate some OpenSUSE forum (If I may delicately say so) ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Claire wrote:I'd like to configure the "backup file" as a LiveCD ISO so that if my machine itself dies (its a pretty old box) I don't have to worry about ghosting the image back to a HDD connected to an identical system.

Maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way, and using dd would be fine even if changing systems?
I suggest to backup your system using rsync or dd on a second drive. If your hard drive fails you can just switch the drives, check your boot loader and you are ready to go again.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I don't understand. How OpenSUSE is related to Salix ???
Are you aware that you are on the Salix forums, not on OpenSUSE forums ?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

This (Claire) is obviously a spammer posting random stuff copy-pasted from other sites. They probably have an algorithm for matching keywords, so the posts seem semi-legitimate too. Banned.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

gapan wrote: Banned.
That was my first reaction to do this morning when I first read "Claire's" post but wasn't really sure if such bots existed.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I can't quite believe anyone can be bothered to *do* that. I didn't fall for "Claire", but it seems I did for another ... The worst of it is the impression it gives is of someone not very stable, even vulnerable.

I wonder if these things will soon be passing the Turing test?