Salixlive xfce RC2 nvidia

ikke

Salixlive xfce RC2 nvidia

Post by ikke »

Salixlive xfce RC2 is - at least in my eyes - almost perfect.

A problem I experience is that the 'nouveau' driver does not go along with the nvidia card on some computers. I have to use the "nomodeset" cheatcode and am getting a 800x600 screen resolution.

My question is : can you provide a module containing the latest nvidia driver. Or can you tell me how to make such a module myself.

Thank you for your attention,
Shador

Re: Salixlive xfce RC2 nvidia

Post by Shador »

You could use persistence and install the driver as usual.
Or you install the driver with the livecd and track the installation with some tool like paco and then build a package from the installed files. Or alternatively you create that package with some SlackBuild. When you have such a package you should be able to convert it into a module, either directly or by first exploding it to some directory..
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you very much for prompt and kind reply. Danke sehr!

For the time being I am not using persistence. All my favorite programs and settings are kept in modules. But in the future...
Don't know about tools like 'paco' It is not available though "sourcery". Guess I have to compile it from source. Other ones which are available for salix / Slackware?

Have built a module with "sourcery" containing the nvidia driver and kernel (290.10). This module doesn't work properly. The 'nvidia .ko' file is not found although it is where it should be. Any hint how to solve that problem? Is there another file which is required.

Thank you.
Shador

Post by Shador »

Regarding paco:

Code: Select all

# slapt-get -search paco
paco-2.0.9-x86_64-1ab [inst=Ja]: paco (a source code package package organzier)
;)

Probably the problem with the module you built is that you lack stuff from the doinst.sh like depmod -a. You would need to run depmod -a in a complete environment, i.e. one that does not only contain the nvidia drivers and then you would add those generated files to the module. In theory this should work. :P

Also it's important that you build the module with the LIVE kernel and not a stock kernel!
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for good advice.

Sorry to tell you that the only thing that I can do is to buid the nvidia-driver-290.10-x86-1_SBo.tgz and nvidia-kernel-290.10_2.6.37.6_smp-x86-1_SBo.tgz packages through "sourcery" and also SLACKBUILDS. Installing them is no problem but then "startx" does always give the same error : the 'nvidia .ko' file is not found although it is there.

Are you able to run nvidia with the LiveCD?

Thank you.
Shador

Post by Shador »

ikke wrote:Are you able to run nvidia with the LiveCD?
Sorry, I don't care. Nouveau works sufficiently.
ikke wrote:nvidia-kernel-290.10_2.6.37.6_smp-x86-1_SBo.tgz
Well that's the problem. Have a look at the uname -r output when running the LiveCD and you notice the difference. Kernel modules are not compatible across different versions, not even different builds (usually) and the modules for the running kernel are only looked for in /lib/modules/$(uname -r). The other package should be fine, it's definitely not kernel-dependent.
So what you have to do:
Download the SlackBuild and all corresponding files (sourcery already did this for you look in /usr/src/slapt-src/)
Look at the SlackBuild and check whether it's possible to tell it which kernel to build for.
Very important you need to build it on a system with the live kernel + build and runtime files installed. E.g. the LiveCD.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Shador wrote:Sorry, I don't care. Nouveau works sufficiently.
Am sorry. Nouveau doesn't work sufficiently in some cases. Especially computers with a recent nvidia card experience problems.

The problem was not to build a module (nvidia-290_10.salt) containing the latest nvidia driver and kernel. The problem was to blacklist the nouveau driver provided by Salix.
Used a cheatcode to achieve this : 'nouveau.blacklist=1'.
Wondering whether there is a better way to blacklist the Salix nouveau driver?

Anyway thank you for your kind attention.
Shador

Post by Shador »

Well, I was implying that it works sufficiently for ME and for my livecd use cases. You might have noticed that there is no nvidia package because it's a pain in the ass to maintain and as you probably noticed a LiveCD module is even worse. I think I can spend my time better than that. Not because I'm an arrogant bastard who cares about nobody. But I just can't solve every possible problem or implement the infinite set of possible features. You have to set priorities and there is also a rl.

Regarding the blacklisting. You probably got a more usefull error msg somewhere else. Anyway just didn't think about that. You can alternatively create a file in /etc/modprobe.d with blacklist nouveau or there's a package in the repo xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist that does exactly this. Didn't check but I guess so.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Yes tha package blacklist it.
You should also probably pass "nomodeset" to the kernel parameters in order to use the nvdia proprietary driver.
Shador

Post by Shador »

JRD wrote:Yes tha package blacklist it.
You should also probably pass "nomodeset" to the kernel parameters in order to use the nvdia proprietary driver.
It's been working here for ages without. But if it fails it's worth a try.