interesting.

lunawolfe

interesting.

Post by lunawolfe »

So found Salix after attempting to install Slackware. (it installed but refuses outright to accept my broadcom wireless), and so went to give this distro a spin. When booting the disc it will get to the login, and after that when it attempts to start X it crashes, I don't have a picture of this yet but will get one once done posting this first post. Its interesting because it is the first distro that i've had issues with running X (especially on a live disc). So hoping that i can get some help figuring out what is going on to get it fixed. very interested in giving this distro a whirl.
lunawolfe

Re: interesting.

Post by lunawolfe »

I think that more or less it is not able to find the monitor. The laptop is a Lenovo G570, with 4gb ram and a B940 2.0GHz processor.

I did notice that it shows as being both intel and also the Vesa in one part of this but not sure if that could be it. not entirely sure. I don't know a whole lot (still learning) so don't even know where i would begin trying to save the logfile while running the disc if it is even possible.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

This is very strange. Are you sure it's not a case of a bad download/burn? What salix live version did you use, 13.1 or the latest 13.37RC? And what intel card do you have exactly? Provide the output of lspci (from any other distro, it doesn't matter).
lunawolfe

Post by lunawolfe »

so far i've tried three different live cd downloads. It is unlikely that all three were bad but not impossible. So far it has been LXDE, XFCE, and fluxbox. Apparently they are the 13.1.2 ISO's should I go with the newer ones if they are available? Will post lspci in another post. not internet on on slackware so going to have to do thumb drive to get it properly.

EDIT: here is a screen shot from the current testing distro i'm using.

still not sure if this is going to help. I can check to see if it is loading all the firmware as well.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

It seems you have one of those sandy bridge intel chips. I don't think 13.1 supports those. I think support has been added in linux kernel 2.6.37.x, so 13.37 should work. Try the latest RC if you want a live medium.