XFCE-13.37

Atip

XFCE-13.37

Post by Atip »

Burned a CD and md5sum gives the correct string. Can boot in HP-2133 Netbook w/o problem.
However, on my PC Desktop booting is erratic, in fact it will boot only when I do it first thing
in the morning on newly powered-on PC. Reaching "Triggering udev events" it sits there for
fully 2 minutes.
If I try to boot again later in the day it either does not get beyond the "Welcome to GRUB" or slowly
reaches "Triggering...." and when passed gives a lot of error messages about gdm to eventually
halt at "spawning too fast".

Burned another disk this time a DVD. md5sum gives again correct string. Booting now
is possibl on my PC Desktop any time. It is fast and "Triggering...." takes now less than 20 sec.

I then tried twice to install XFCE-13.37 LIVE to my hard drive and each time it stopped
installing after about 80 % on the install bar, just after "Installing full mode packag|.." stop.
There is enough space on the partition I try to install to.

How to solve that?
Shador

Re: XFCE-13.37

Post by Shador »

Atip wrote:If I try to boot again later in the day it either does not get beyond the "Welcome to GRUB" or slowly
reaches "Triggering...." and when passed gives a lot of error messages about gdm to eventually
halt at "spawning too fast".
Probably hardware related, but lacking information. Chances are that this ca be worked around somehow if it isn't too messy.
Atip wrote:I then tried twice to install XFCE-13.37 LIVE to my hard drive and each time it stopped
installing after about 80 % on the install bar, just after "Installing full mode packag|.." stop.
There is enough space on the partition I try to install to.
Dunno about this one. Akuna and JRD are more familiar with the installer than me.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Hum, did you do the md5sum on the iso or directly pn the burn data on the DVD? Did you do it with the same optical drive you trying to boot? I suspect hardware problem (problem in reading the CD/DVD). It happens to me on a computer. Take me some time to figure out that the optical drive was the problem.
If it's not hardware related...then I have no clue at all :( The installation is, at this time of the progress, just copying some files from your DVD to the partition, so I cannot see any reason what it should hangs apart from problem reading from the media support.
Can you try USB? It is usually more relliable (if you could boot in USB and have an USB key with enough space).
Atip

Post by Atip »

JRD wrote:Hum, did you do the md5sum on the iso or directly pn the burn data on the DVD? Did you do it with the same optical drive you trying to boot? I suspect hardware problem (problem in reading the CD/DVD). It happens to me on a computer. Take me some time to figure out that the optical drive was the problem.
If it's not hardware related...then I have no clue at all :( The installation is, at this time of the progress, just copying some files from your DVD to the partition, so I cannot see any reason what it should hangs apart from problem reading from the media support.
Can you try USB? It is usually more relliable (if you could boot in USB and have an USB key with enough space).
I did the md5sum on the burn data of the DVD with the same optical drive.

In the meantime I was able to install the "basic" option and it went well. In fact I like it since
now I can choose which programs to add for my liking. I never use gimp and rarely libreoffice for example.

I tried to put on a USB with no luck sofar. Would be a first time for me. The installer does not like the media apparently. Will report on this when I have booted with the disk.
Atip

Post by Atip »

JRD wrote:Can you try USB? It is usually more relliable (if you could boot in USB and have an USB key with enough space).
Yes now that I have an installation on a stick that boots the full installation to a HD from the
USB stick worked flawlessly. :)