To RAM from an ISO on a USB stick

pwatk

To RAM from an ISO on a USB stick

Post by pwatk »

This is the syslinux configuration I have on my USB stick for booting Salix Live:

Code: Select all

label -
  menu label Salix64 Live Xfce 13.37
  kernel /salixlive/vmlinuz
  initrd /salixlive/initrd.xz
  append root=/dev/ram0 quiet max_loop=20 lang=en_GB.utf8 keyb=uk autologin fromiso=/salixlive-xfce-13.37-64.iso ibus=off memonly numlock=off 4 synaptics=off vga=791
As you can tell I'm trying load the LiveCD in to RAM from the ISO on my USB stick which is very tidy and works very well but for one reason... the USB stick remains mounted under /mnt/salt/mnt/sdb1 and I can't unmount it (presumably because the ISO is still loop mounted somewhere).

Am I missing something here or is in not possible to relinquish the USB stick if booting from an ISO?

Thanks.
ikke

Re: To RAM from an ISO on a USB stick

Post by ikke »

pwatk wrote:This is the syslinux configuration I have on my USB stick for booting Salix Live:

Code: Select all

label -
  menu label Salix64 Live Xfce 13.37
  kernel /salixlive/vmlinuz
  initrd /salixlive/initrd.xz
  append root=/dev/ram0 quiet max_loop=20 lang=en_GB.utf8 keyb=uk autologin fromiso=/salixlive-xfce-13.37-64.iso ibus=off memonly numlock=off 4 synaptics=off vga=791
As you can tell I'm trying load the LiveCD in to RAM from the ISO on my USB stick which is very tidy and works very well but for one reason... the USB stick remains mounted under /mnt/salt/mnt/sdb1 and I can't unmount it (presumably because the ISO is still loop mounted somewhere).

Am I missing something here or is in not possible to relinquish the USB stick if booting from an ISO?

Thanks.
Am wondering if the cheatcodes (where did you find them?) are correct :
memonly ==> toram ?
synaptics=off ==> nosynaptics ?

Will try to follow your example and load the LiveCD in to RAM.
Shador

Post by Shador »

ikke wrote:Am wondering if the cheatcodes (where did you find them?) are correct :
memonly ==> toram ?

The cheatcodes he's using are all right as far as I can tell.
pwatk wrote: As you can tell I'm trying load the LiveCD in to RAM from the ISO on my USB stick which is very tidy and works very well but for one reason... the USB stick remains mounted under /mnt/salt/mnt/sdb1 and I can't unmount it (presumably because the ISO is still loop mounted somewhere).
Gonna try to boot like that myself. You could try checking with lsof and fuser who's blocking the mount.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

ikke wrote: Am wondering if the cheatcodes (where did you find them?) are correct :
memonly ==> toram ?

The cheatcodes were taken directly from the grub2 config files inside the ISO.
Shador wrote:Gonna try to boot like that myself. You could try checking with lsof and fuser whose blocking the mount.
I tried that but I think this has ended up being a mount within a mount within a mount (just think Inception here) so lsof and fuser don't tell me anything. I did try chrooting in to the initrd (I forget the directory path) but that didn't help either.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I need to make further tests with this option "memonly"...because it could be that this option has not been severly tested (by us and users) and may still contains some bugs.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

JRD wrote:I need to make further tests with this option "memonly"...because it could be that this option has not been severly tested (by us and users) and may still contains some bugs.
Well give he a heads up if you make any changes and I'll test them out.

If I get time I might look at the initrd scripts myself to see if I can be any help.

-pwatk