No autologin with live CD

toothandnail

No autologin with live CD

Post by toothandnail »

A friend of mine has just downloaded and burnt the latest live CD. He's trying to run it on a Packard Bell laptop. He's having a bit of a problem....

It seems that instead of autologin to the desktop, he's getting a GDM username/password prompt. I've not seen the machine, but I remembered that the standard user is 'one' and I thought that there was no password for 'one'. However, he says that he's not getting in using 'one' and then hitting return on the password prompt.

I've had bit of a search, but haven't found anything except the root password. Is there a password for one. or there some other problem with his attempts to get to the desktop. Its the Xfce live CD.

Paul.
Shador

Re: No autologin with live CD

Post by Shador »

toothandnail wrote:Is there a password for one.
No!
toothandnail wrote:t seems that instead of autologin to the desktop, he's getting a GDM username/password prompt.
Is he passing autologin as kernel argument?
toothandnail

Re: No autologin with live CD

Post by toothandnail »

Shador wrote:
toothandnail wrote:Is there a password for one.
No!
:) Since entering my original message, I've managed to boot the live version from a flash drive. Logged out, and then entered 'one' and pressed return - straight back to the desktop. So unless something had changed since I donwloaded the iso just after it was announced, I didn't imagine that there could be.
toothandnail wrote:t seems that instead of autologin to the desktop, he's getting a GDM username/password prompt.
Is he passing autologin as kernel argument?
I wouldn't think so. Maybe the burn he got wasn't clean. I'm not sure what he used to burn it, or whether he checked the md5sum bofore starting. I'll do some checking tomorrow.

Thanks for confirming that there isn't a password.

Paul.