persistent file on HD

mimosa
Salix Warrior

persistent file on HD

Post by mimosa »

If I'm booting Salix Live (13.37) from USB, can I move the persistent file to the hard disk? I vaguely remember doing so a while back, but that may have been with 13.1. Does the persistent file need to reside within a particular directory to be picked up during boot? Mine is inside a directory "persistence" inside another directory; when I copied it over I renamed the original persistent file on the USB so it wouldn't be recognised, and that much was successful ;)
Shador

Re: persistent file on HD

Post by Shador »

Yes, you can. Unless of course I'm getting the code wrong, but I don't think so. But it needs to be stored on the exactly same path as originally. The path is built like this:

Code: Select all

$basedir/$ROOT_DIR/persistence/$SAVE_FILE_NAME
basedir: basedir as specified by the .live file
ROOT_DIR: salixlive
SAVE_FILE_NAME: salixlive.save (default)

That path is checked on all accessible block devices in reverse sort order.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks Shador. I have a directory salixlive at the top level of the Windows partition, with the correctly named persistent file inside a subdirectory persistence. So that part is OK.

The .live file gives basedir as / - does that mean it will only look on the stick, not other disks or partitions? What if I put the modules on the hard disk? I imagine that makes no difference, even if it is possible.
Shador

Post by Shador »

No, as I said that only changes the path it looks for. That path is searched for on ALL available devices/partitions filesystems. Did you try it as I said? Because I never tested that. But from the code it should work like this.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Sorry Shador, I didn't post quickly enough to correct myself. I must have renamed the topmost directory (originally it was something else) *after* reverting the .save file on the USB to its proper name, and that then got picked up first.

Anyway, it was still useful because I now better understand the way it's meant to work. Thanks again!