Creating a live usb on windows?

slacker616

Creating a live usb on windows?

Post by slacker616 »

I'm trying to create a live usb using windows, but i don't know what program to use, unetbootin doesn't work, and in the instructions to do it from an iso image it says i need parted and syslinux, but I'm using windows, what can i do?
Adys

Re: Creating a live usb on windows?

Post by Adys »

Before giving more instructions / suggestions, let's try first the basics.

Have you downloaded the latest unetbootin (for Windows)? Currently, only the latest unetbootin supports SalixLive ISOs.

Additionally, had you tried booting with the same USB drive before (whether with Salix or with any other OS in it)? Was it successfully booting before? Which OS the USB drive was booting into?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Alternatively, just copy the contents of the iso to the USB stick and run the install-on-USB.cmd script. I believe instructions on how to do this in Windows are included in the README file.

But Adys is right, now that Unetbootin supports Salix, that may be the easier way; and if you do still have trouble, it's worth checking the memory stick is not the cause. Also, even if installation is successful, you may need to tweak the BIOS settings to get the machine to boot from it, if you haven't used this stick that way before.
Adys

Post by Adys »

@mimosa,

You are correct. Certainly the script is one possibility, but I didn't want to give more instructions that may only waste slacker616's time.

The script is mostly useful for cases where the USB drive is already known to be (generally speaking) bootable. Moreover, the command line syntax for SYSLINUX has changed (specially since version 4.02+), so even the Windows-based script might not be enough.

Since (the current latest version of) unetbootin was supposed to work, and it didn't, we need to find out more specific details so to be able to suggest the most adequate method for slacker616.

Let's wait for slacker616's answer.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

slacker616 wrote:I'm trying to create a live usb using windows, but i don't know what program to use, unetbootin doesn't work, and in the instructions to do it from an iso image it says i need parted and syslinux, but I'm using windows, what can i do?
Hi.
- Which version of Salix Live do you intend to use ? Latest 13.37 ?
- Parted and Syslinux are needed only on Linux and BSD, no need for Windows, the binary is included in the provided files.
So either :
- extract all files to the USB and run X:\boot\install-on-USB.cmd (if X is your USB drive), or
- use the latest Unetbootin and point it to the ISO you downloaded.

Please report back what you've tried.