Salix Live Install not working

thevillage8

Salix Live Install not working

Post by thevillage8 »

I'm not sure why this hasn't been addressed already. I didn't exactly do an exhaustive search for this problem, but you'd think that somebody would have said something by now.

I used unetbootin to write the xfce cd image to a usb stick, and the live installer refuses to run. The reason is that for some reason, the root fs isn't mounted at /mnt/salt/mnt/ during boot. Why the installer script would be written this way is beyond me, but it works, so I don't really care about that.

The way I remedied this situation is by creating a mount point at /mnt/salt/mnt/.

ex:

root[one]# mkdir /mnt/salt/mnt/sdb1/
root[one]# mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/salt/mnt/sdb1

Although this only works for one specific configuration, a more universal way to go about this may be to ln root to /mnt/salt/mnt.

I hope this helps.
Tim CowChip

Re: Salix Live Install not working

Post by Tim CowChip »

Unetbootin version 535 works, but earlier versions may not.

You can also try extracting the *.iso image to your USB stick with an archiver and run the /boot/install-on-USB.sh script to create a USB installer.

These posts may give some insight if other methods fail.
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3554
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3424
ImageImage
Adys

Post by Adys »

For the record, and to avoid possible confusions, the following is not accurate:
Tim CowChip wrote:Unetbootin version 535 works

The version of unetbootin that should successfully work is 575 (or later).

I don't know if the OP's issue is related to unetbootin, or to something else. I just wanted to avoid that someone would read this topic and think that version 535 works. It doesn't; you need at least v.575.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

Thanks Adys. I remembered there was a minimum version requirement and didn't take the time to check my facts.
ImageImage
ElderDryas

Post by ElderDryas »

Let me see if I have the facts straight:
1) To use unetbootin with the Salix LiveCD's one must use version 575 or greater;
2) gslapt has version 494;
3) Sourcery has version 565.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ElderDryas wrote:Let me see if I have the facts straight:
1) To use unetbootin with the Salix LiveCD's one must use version 575 or greater;
2) gslapt has version 494;
3) Sourcery has version 565.
Yes, your point?

@thevillage8

What you're experiencing could very well be a bug in the installer that shows up with your specific hardware setup. You could provide your hard drive's info with

Code: Select all

fdisk -l
as well as the output of

Code: Select all

mount
after booting the live CD and run the installer from a root terminal to capture any errors and post them here.

BTW, if you used the standard installation CD instead of the live CD, it would certainly work, but it would be nice to find out what the problem is with the live installer.