booting trouble

Shador

Re: booting trouble

Post by Shador »

JRD wrote:Yes I figure it out reading the perl code (and reading perl documentation because I'm not a perl guru) and reading the sh script for it's distribution.
About better than isolinux, I think it's quite the same, except we will need core.img on the CD. So if anyone wants to install this on a USB key without using isohybrid, he will not have the choice to use syslinux or another bootloader. He will need to install grub2 on that disk and that will lead to the same exact problems we had before. Chainloading to grub2 is a better option (from syslinux, isolinux, lilo, whatever) in my opinion.
I don't get your point here. If we switched to that other version of isohybrid, we wouldn't anymore need isolinux as an intermediate bootloader like beforehand. Instead the ISO would get booted exactly as with pre-Mate releases. So the grub eltorito image would get loaded directly and booting from cdrom would work as previously on mimosa's hardware.
For USB booting (by dd'ing) we would need a core.img but that image wouldn't require a memdisk as there is no intermediate bootloader and thus the boot device gets passed on. So in that case cdrom booting and usb booting with unetbootin/install-on-USB would work exactly as previously with the eltorito resp. g2l.img. Just isohyrid booting through the dd method would require a new procedure and a small additional core.img file.

Anyway, we should just try this out. But I won't get to this before the end of this month due to exams.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Just isohyrid booting through the dd method would require a new procedure and a small additional core.img file.
This is what I meant.

I have no time to right now to investigate further on this path. I have a holiday week next week, and after that I need to continue to sort my new apartment (and plug my computer).

Anyway, trying to wipe the first 32Kb of the ISO and burn it again is still interresting me.
deja69

Post by deja69 »

@ mimosa

is there any possibility one or other of your computers has a BIOS virus/corruption,these are very rare,a few ones written in Python..but worth considering?

http://www.securelist.com/en/analysis/2 ... _a_reality
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Please don't pollute thread. Thanks.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Happy holidays JRD :)

I tried the modified iso (using dd as you posted) and the behaviour is exactly the same on both machines (machine number three is unavailable just now): boot failure with the same messages.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Too bad...
But thanks for trying.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

In case anyone isn't seeing these - a user on the Greek forum with the same problem:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3974

The user has checked the obvious things and the behaviour is identical.