LIVE 13.37 XFCE - FATAL ERRORs

peter

LIVE 13.37 XFCE - FATAL ERRORs

Post by peter »

Hi,
at booting this CD I get cca 5 Fatal Errors messages about some missing file, if correctly remembered, but booting continues Ok to functionality.I have not good feeling, why is it ? At installing Opera browser - Salix frozen.

Q - if I 'll install system from this CD, will be all in order ? What a difference is between installing from Live and Install 13.37 disc ? Is here an install process the same ?

Pete
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: LIVE 13.37 XFCE - FATAL ERRORs

Post by gapan »

peter wrote:Hi,
at booting this CD I get cca 5 Fatal Errors messages about some missing file, if correctly remembered, but booting continues Ok to functionality.I have not good feeling, why is it ?
My crystal ball fails to tell me anything about your 5 fatal errors. My feeling is you're screwed.
peter wrote:At installing Opera browser - Salix frozen.
My crystal ball says you have hardware problems.
peter wrote:Q - if I 'll install system from this CD, will be all in order ?
Yes.
peter wrote:What a difference is between installing from Live and Install 13.37 disc ?
With the first one, you're installing from the live CD and with the 2nd one you're installing from the standard installation disk. What you get is exactly the same.
peter wrote:Is here an install process the same ?
No. Different installers.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Is this the machine with 128 MB RAM? I'd say you're still screwed, even if the hardware is in perfect working order. If any graphical version of Salix stands a chance of working, it's likely to be one of the more lightweight editions such as Fluxbox. But probably not even those.

EDIT

However, you could just try installing it, since I now see you say it does boot. Make sure there's enough room on the partition, off the top of my head, say 6GB absolute minimum for Full.
peter

Post by peter »

My crystal ball
GOOD !
OK, i 'll boot once again this in Virtualbox /actually uninstalled/ and post screenshot of messages, if any.Otherwise boot from burned image /checksum OK/ and reproducing from it.
I have 1.5Gig proci, 512Meg RAM, 11 years old 8Gig HDD, 11 years old 16Meg videocard , as I am not gamer.
Every linux goes Ok, excepts ones for new HW only, like Opensuse, Fedora and all with KDE; theese are very slow.

Pete
peter

Post by peter »

Connected from Live disc booted up ;),
what a message I catched on paper in that speed
first FATAL:Error inserting AC, /somelongpath/ac.ko
second FATAL:Error inserting FAN
third FATAL:Error inserting THERMAL
fourth FATAL:Error inserting VIDEO
fifth FATAL:Error inserting BUTTON
Where is stored boot log from Live CD boot ?, dmesg checked, but doesn't contain this Fatals..

Pete

Edit- Firefox too slow, downed Opera portable 11.50, on both started technobase.fm...Hanged.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

peter wrote:Connected from Live disc booted up ;),
what a message I catched on paper in that speed
first FATAL:Error inserting AC, /somelongpath/ac.ko
second FATAL:Error inserting FAN
third FATAL:Error inserting THERMAL
fourth FATAL:Error inserting VIDEO
fifth FATAL:Error inserting BUTTON
Where is stored boot log from Live CD boot ?, dmesg checked, but doesn't contain this Fatals..
These are not problems, although they may seem like they are. It's your hardware that's old and doesn't support acpi properly. You could probably fix them by adding "acpi=force" or "acpi=off" to your kernel parameters.
peter wrote:Edit- Firefox too slow, downed Opera portable 11.50, on both started technobase.fm...Hanged.
You need more RAM. And that was not opera portable, it was opera.
peter

Post by peter »

Thx, gapan.
Sothat 512meg of RAM is too low for 13.37 XFCE Salix ? Even if I 'll add 1Gig of SWAP ??

Opera - for trying different distros, mostly installed with slow Firefox, I found and using portable linux Opera browser - mostly working OK /Knoppix, Puppy../.It's not a regular package to install, but directly executable! Just needs to change chmod on executable /via midnight commander for example, I am lazy to beat keyboard permanently/ and Enter/doubleclick on it.
http://portable.sourceforge.net/network

But only a few apps /from there/ works on many distros...

Pete
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

peter wrote:Thx, gapan.
Sothat 512meg of RAM is too low for 13.37 XFCE Salix ? Even if I 'll add 1Gig of SWAP ??
No, that should be enough. But didn't you say that your RAM was 128MB? If the system hangs with 512MB RAM when firefox starts, you've got different problems. Did you test the memory with memtest?
peter wrote:Opera - for trying different distros, mostly installed with slow Firefox, I found and using portable linux Opera browser - mostly working OK /Knoppix, Puppy../.It's not a regular package to install, but directly executable! Just needs to change chmod on executable /via midnight commander for example, I am lazy to beat keyboard permanently/ and Enter/doubleclick on it.
http://portable.sourceforge.net/network

But only a few apps /from there/ works on many distros...

Pete
OK, I thought that by opera portable you actually meant opera mini. But you should know that there is nothing special about that "portable" opera of yours. There is only one opera binary after all, the one distributed by opera. You should always stick with the packages provided by your distribution when you have the chance.
peter

Post by peter »

No, I say
I have 1.5Gig proci, 512Meg RAM, 11 years old 8Gig HDD, 11 years old 16Meg videocard , as I am not gamer.
No, memory untested, because everything works - windoze, knoppix,puppy,burning,surfing,compiling.. No BSOD, fortunately.

Pete
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

So if everything works, have you solved your problem?

If not, please try to be specific about what isn't working and what you have done.