Missing kernel in Live installation in basic mode.

JRD
Salix Warrior

Missing kernel in Live installation in basic mode.

Post by JRD »

I had a Salix Live Xfce 13.37, 32 bits ISO (on USB) with me. I wanted to install the fluxbox edition, so I decided to install the Xfce edition with the basic mode, then add what is needed to have a fluxbox edition adding the missing packages after the installation.
I already have lilo configured under another partition (Salix 13.37 64bits, Xfce), so I decided to not install "Lilo", and do it later under the other partition.

So far so well....installation went ok and quickly, no surprise.
I then rebooted to my other (64 bits) partition/OS, and mounted the newly installed Salix for referencing his "/boot" for Lilo.
Then I discover that there is no kernel in the /boot of the newly installed Salix. I checked "/var/log/packages"...only kernel-headers was installed, no sign of kernel-huge-smp, kernel-modules-smp nor kernel-firmware.

Obviously, after a chroot and install (slapt-get) it worked ok, but for one reason or another the Live installed forgot to install them in the Basic mode.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Missing kernel in Live installation in basic mode.

Post by Akuna »

Thanks for the report.

Looking into it.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

I could not reproduce this in vbox with the original iso.
The only thing I can think of is that the kernel installation somehow didn't have time to fully copy before you exited the Live environment, which could be probable if you didn't use LiloSetup and was fast to reboot (shouldn't reboot . We had that problem with the modules installation which was threaded and I added a thread lock/release to resole that.
The kernel installation however is not threaded but it could be followed by a pause and a sync to play it safe.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I must precise that I edited the .live basedir variable to this: salix/xfce-13_37-32 (because I installed multiple Salix Live editions on that key).
So the kernel packages resides in /salix/xfce-13_37-32/packages/std-kernel. Does the installer takes the "basedir" variable into account for the kernel packages installation ? If it tries to install /packages/std-kernel, it's normal that nothing were installed.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

JRD wrote:I must precise that I edited the .live basedir variable to this: salix/xfce-13_37-32 (because I installed multiple Salix Live editions on that key).
So the kernel packages resides in /salix/xfce-13_37-32/packages/std-kernel. Does the installer takes the "basedir" variable into account for the kernel packages installation ? If it tries to install /packages/std-kernel, it's normal that nothing were installed.
Yes it does.