LiveCD almost dead???

ikke

LiveCD almost dead???

Post by ikke »

Just wondering ...

The last LiveCD you provided - if I remember well - was Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1 beta2 on 1 Aug 2013. 3 months ago. And yet no Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1. What's happening? You are no longer interested in providing a LiveCD? Priority is on Openbox and Ratpoison? It's OK but if feel that for the sake of Salix you shouldn't neglect the LIveCD.

Any comments?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: LiveCD almost dead???

Post by mimosa »

That release was unofficial, for anyone who might find it useful.

Work is going on behind the scenes on Live, and indeed, it looks on the cards that there will be 14.0.1 Live.

If and when a beta is released, it would be great if as many people as possible could test it on their hardware :)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Yes there are Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1beta2, Salix Live KDE 14.0.1 beta1 and Salix Openbox 14.0beta2
Did you download and use them? Did you found they are not working?
If they are working then official or unofficial they can be used and be useful.
And believe me they need too much work to prepared and be out in public.
I use them and they are useful, at least to me.
Furthermore, JRD is working on tools (Salt etc) so an official live iso for xfce will be out when it is ready.
It's OK but if feel that for the sake of Salix you shouldn't neglect the LIveCD.
Anyone is welcome to involved, working for salix in any way.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:Work is going on behind the scenes on Live, and indeed, it looks on the cards that there will be 14.0.1 Live.
I wouldn't be that certain.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for reply.

@ mimosa :
"That release was unofficial" Ok but what'in a name??? I found it very useful. But why such a long time between 'beta2' and 'official'?

@djemos :
I downloaded "Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1beta2" on August 1 and have been using it since then. I did a poor man's install on an hard disk and on a usb stick. I even added my own modules. "I use them and they are useful, at least to me"

So why don't you provide an official XFCE 14.0.1 release or declare "Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1beta2" official?

And yes, I have always been willing to help testing a liveCD.

Just wondering if JRD is still working on the LIVE tools ... And what about Akuna? Those were the guys always willing to push ...

@gapan :
"
Work is going on behind the scenes on Live, and indeed, it looks on the cards that there will be 14.0.1 Live.

I wouldn't be that certain.
"

It's a pity you don't see the importance of a LiveCD. You did provide an nice installCD for XFCE 14.0.1. Why not an nice liveCD for XFCE 14.0.1 as well?

It is really a pity for Salix, believe me.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

ikke: why do you assume that because it isn't ready, it isn't regarded as important?

I'm glad you're finding the unofficial beta useful. For most situations, it is just as good as any Live will ever be; the planned official version deals better with some odd cases, and will have improvements to the tools. It looks like in your case, any need you may have for Live is already fully met.

The thing to remember about any Linux distro is it is produced by enthusisastic volunteers in their free time. They have no obligation to be enthusiastic, and the amount of free time they have isn't under their control.

Not everyone can participate, but I think this is definitely a case where encouragement is called for rather than saying it's a shame things aren't better or more advanced than they are.

I hope you continue to enjoy using Salix for a long time to come :)
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for kind reaction,
mimosa wrote:ikke: why do you assume that because it isn't ready, it isn't regarded as important?
Guess everything is clear after gapan's reaction to your reply : "I wouldn't be that certain."
mimosa wrote: It looks like in your case, any need you may have for Live is already fully met.
Agree. But I would prefer the latest version with the 'improved' tools.
mimosa wrote:The thing to remember about any Linux distro is it is produced by enthusisastic volunteers in their free time. They have no obligation to be enthusiastic, and the amount of free time they have isn't under their control..
Again : fully agree. Of course you are free 200% to spend your free time as you prefer. And most of us we have a job and a family. But it seems to me that the enthusiasm to produce a LiveCD is no longer available with most of the Salix gurus.
mimosa wrote: this is definitely a case where encouragement is called for rather than saying it's a shame things aren't better or more advanced than they are. .
Kindly note that my aim was to encourage you. Never did I say it was a shame or someone did make errors. I realize how difficult it is and what efforts it takes to produce a Linux Distribution / LiveCD such as Salix.
mimosa wrote:I hope you continue to enjoy using Salix for a long time to come :)
Thank you. I hope so as well.

Regards.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ikke wrote:"That release was unofficial" Ok but what'in a name??? I found it very useful. But why such a long time between 'beta2' and 'official'?
So why don't you provide an official XFCE 14.0.1 release or declare "Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1beta2" official?
The answer to both questions is because:

1. It has known problems that haven't been fixed.
2. Nobody is working on it.
ikke wrote:Just wondering if JRD is still working on the LIVE tools ... And what about Akuna? Those were the guys always willing to push ...
The opperative word in there is were.
ikke wrote:It's a pity you don't see the importance of a LiveCD. You did provide an nice installCD for XFCE 14.0.1. Why not an nice liveCD for XFCE 14.0.1 as well?
It's not that I don't see the importance. It's that I can't do that myself too. And it's certainly more important to actually have a distribution than having a live CD. Without having a distribution, you can't possibly have a live CD.

And at this point I think it doesn't make sense at all to have a live release for 14.0, with slackware 14.1 being so close. I, personally, certainly will not participate in any activities concerning a live CD. It would be a waste of time.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Because i did not see any serious interest about them, on testing except one (mimosa).
ikke

Post by ikke »

Just to say thank you for your comments. Admit that I understand better now ...
gapan wrote: And at this point I think it doesn't make sense at all to have a live release for 14.0, with slackware 14.1 being so close. I, personally, certainly will not participate in any activities concerning a live CD. It would be a waste of time.
Agree that we better wait now for upcoming slackware 14.1 . Appreciate your efforts to prepare Salix XFCE 14.1. And hope someone else of the Salix people will care to provide also a Salix Live XFCE 14.1.

From my side I am always willing to test, especially the LiveCD.

Thank you.